Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees in freeman beetle trap tray  (Read 5533 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
bees in freeman beetle trap tray
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:57:35 pm »
i've posted this before but it's still a problem. the freeman tray slides into a groove in the screened bottom board. the groove is also in the front of the bottom board so the tray is sealed from entry on 3 sides. there is a less than 3/32 gap at the rear of the bottom board. the screen is also sealed on 3 sides when properly installed & it is properly installed. how are the bees getting into the tray!?! the bees seem to be attracted to the oil.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:09:32 pm by rober »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: bees in freeman beetle trap tray
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »
I used tape and sealed the front and rear air tight.   Just left it on after fall mite treatments.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:41 pm »
They are probably getting in there at night when they are bearding. Go out late during the night on a hot night and you will find them all over and under the hive. Bees will fight to get into any space they can. reduce the gap to 1/8 and that will stop them. That is what I had to do with my home made SBB.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:08:08 pm »
since it's underneath how do you tape the front? & i just edited my original post to read 3/32. the gap IS less than 1/8"

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:25:57 pm »
Masking tape.  Looks better when painted white than duct tape.    :-D

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:19 pm »
since it's underneath how do you tape the front? & i just edited my original post to read 3/32. the gap IS less than 1/8"
I stapled a metal window screen under the oil pan. I did this to allow ventilation in, in front of the pan and to keep the bees out. I use the metal screen because I have an old large role of it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:07:57 am »
How large are the holes in your screen and are you certain there are no other holes in your bottom board?  Carpenter ants can ruin a board in a few days.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:57 am »
no holes-no ants

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 12:26:21 pm »
How large are the holes in your screen and are you certain there are no other holes in your bottom board?  Carpenter ants can ruin a board in a few days.
It's window screen. The type you use to keep bugs out of your house. Most screens today are nylon or plastic but I just happen to have this role in my barn so I used it. The holes are a lot smaller that the #8 in a standard SBB. It also forces the SHB to come in the back where they fall into the oil.
Jim
Ben Franklin