Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 out of 6, sort of  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Grid

• House Bee
3 out of 6, sort of
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:19:30 am »
I just went and opened all the hives.  Out of 6 hives:

- One starved, saw that several weeks back.  A late start, not too surprised.

- One hive is doing great - lots of brood, some drones, eggs, full of bees.  Yay!

- Two have both eggs and brood, drone and worker, but have very small brood nests, and low populations.

- One had no eggs or brood at all, and just a few bees.  Shook them out, and they flew back and started going into the hive next to them.

- Another had some brood, but it was all drone, and only on one side of a medium frame.  Small number of bees.  I shook them out as well.

My questions:

- Are shakeouts an ok way to get bees from weaker hives to go into the remaining ones safely, or is it likely to cause fighting and maybe get the queen in the receiving hive killed?

- I overwintered with two deeps (or three mediums), entrance reducers on large opening, upper entrance about 2" x 3'8", top insulation, and black insulated wraps. I also Mountain Camped every hive.  Sound ok?  There was a pile of dry sugar on the bottom boards of each hive, and there was some mold in the corners in some of the hives.

- I treated with formic in the fall.  Wondering if that's what did in my queenless hives.

Anyhow, any and all feedback appreciated.  I need to learn so I can do better by my bees.

Thanks,
Grid

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: 3 out of 6, sort of
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:08:32 pm »
 The shook bees are humble and just want a hive to be part of. Really strong hives that don't need extra numbers may welcome some intruders may kick some out/kill some, luck of the draw really.

A newspaper combine is usually your best bet for survivability of homeless bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Grid

• House Bee
Re: 3 out of 6, sort of
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:20:57 pm »
Thanks for that.  Sounds like I probably did ok on that front.  Any ideas on my other questions?

Thanks,
Grid.

anything