Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Most expensive top bar hive ever  (Read 4393 times)

Offline DavidBee

• New Bee
Most expensive top bar hive ever
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:33:53 am »
All was going well. I was just finishing a very nice top bar hive that was to cost only a few dollars. Then, as I was ripping a top bar, I managed to cut my finger off with the table saw! Now, I'm relatively new to beekeeping, but I have decades of experience with power tools, so I have no excuse, just a moment's inattention. Now the bills are coming in on my cheap hive.   :>) Do I hold the record for the most expensive "third world" hive?

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Most expensive top bar hive ever
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:56 am »
Aw man! That's awful.   Which finger?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:53:53 am »
Pictures? Heal well!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:12:11 pm »
I hope your hand heals well!!!

Somebody else here did that too recently.   Looks like you are adapting well, all the letters are there!! :roll:

There are too many people that have done the same thing, it just takes a second, a piece of stray wood on the saw, a little snow clogging the snow blower, a misfire on a firework (my brother did that).   There but by the grace of God goes my fingers as well.

On the bright side, the same thing can happen with an expensive fancy hive... :roll:

Rick
Rick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:06 pm »
Sorry to hear that, hope you mend well soon. This is why I never use those sorts of tools.  Well that's not really the reason.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:56:20 am »
Gee that's sad.

Hope the medics are treating you well.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline DavidBee

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 01:00:27 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. It was the middle finger of the left hand. That makes me a handicapped driver in Atlanta.  :>) It (and the other fingers that "only" had chewed up flesh) are healing well. I played the guitar until the accident. Now I'm learning to play open tuning with a slide.  Could be worse.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:39:17 pm »
Sorry to hear about your expensive hive.  I have a very expensive bottom board.  search the forum for "a beekeepers confession".  I was in a hurry for no real reason of importance and did not drop the blade which was all the way up and when the board was about to drop over the other side I went to grab it and ZING!!!  All I could think was that did not just happen.  First thing I did was turn off the saw then jumped in my car, turned on flashers, and did 80 to 90 mph to the hospital.  I am kind of lucky I guess because I did not lose it but it will never be the same.  All I can say is be glad it was not your thumb because you need it for everything you do, almost. 

Have a speedy recovery. 

Bee-nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:50:26 pm »
A mere flesh wound......... :-D (A poor M.P. quote)  :roll:

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you the best.

New label idea...... "Nine fingers Honey" ...where we don't give you the finger!

And yes, you won. That is one contest I hope not to ever compete in. You have the most expensive hive.... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:54 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. It was the middle finger of the left hand. That makes me a handicapped driver in Atlanta.  :>) It (and the other fingers that "only" had chewed up flesh) are healing well. I played the guitar until the accident. Now I'm learning to play open tuning with a slide.  Could be worse.

You can do it.  Django Reinhardt was one of the greatest guitarists ever, and his two small fingers on his fret hand were paralyzed from burns he suffered in a fire.  Does really diminish your highway communication skills though.  Sounds like you have a good attitude anyway. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

anything