Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Tree Question  (Read 1557 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Bee Tree Question
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:19:23 am »
I'm now feeding sugar syrup to two bee tree sections both cut down by the same tree company.  I realize that these hives may not survive the winter, but I'm trying to convince them to move up into hive boxes that I have set on top of the cut sections with drawn comb to entice them.

The second bee tree was felled last weekend and I couldn't get to it until Tuesday.  I covered the whole in the top of the tree with a piece of plywood (with a hole cut in the center) and then set a hive box on top of that.  I didn't take a good hive cover with me and used an upside down bottom board. 

I am feeding sugar syrup to both bee trees with baggie feeders on top of the frames, surrounded by an empty box and then a top over all of it. 

The way the bottom board fits (or doesn't) on the hive box on the newest tree makes an entrance at the top.  I noticed yesterday that the bees are using it as an entrance.  On my other bee tree, the hive box has no entrance - only the opening to the tree hive below.  Should I put a better top on the hive box, eliminating the upper entrance?  Or should I leave things as they are with the upper entrance?

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bee Tree Question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »
I would leave things as they are. With one each way, you have a great opportunity to study both ways. An upper entrance may encourage them to use the super sooner.

PS. Watch for robbing. If seen, remove or cover the top entrance.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »
you are going to have a bee forest at this rate!  i will be interested in keeping up on this.  i have a tree to do in the spring if it doesn't fall over this winter. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:16 pm »
'course all of this is dependent on the life of the queen.  I'm pretty sure the original bee tree which seems to be thriving with bees flying in and out with pollen has a good queen, but this second tree may not - less bees, but still a very active bee tree. 

Imagine the earthquake when the tree is felled - amazing if the queen should survive.  Although these guys don't drop the tree with a thud.  They use a crane and hoist it onto a truck so the crash may not happen quite the same as if the tree were truly felled.

I'm on my way over to feed them and see what the states of the bee tree(s) are  :-\

Linda T

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:07:54 pm »
If you want to coax bees out of a tree, it is best to put a frame of brood and a frame of food in the brood box.  One way I forced bees out of a tree, was to drill a hole on the back side and forced smoke into the tree. The entrance hole was covered with a screen funnel leading into the hive box which keeps them from going back into the tree. You can use drawn out comb and pack it with granulated sugar and spray it with water for food if you cannot spare any from another hive. I still have two trees with ferile bees in them on the property. They have lived there for over six years.

anything