Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vibe - Central AR.  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
Vibe - Central AR.
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »
I just found this site (I think...Might have found it last year as well, but I registered this time :D).

I more or less had Beekeeping dumped on me last year when my FIL had 8 swarms land in his (city lot sized) yard. Not all at once...They were about 2 to 3 days apart. He's always had one or two hive boxes going, so at least he knew how to build the boxes, frames, tops and floors. We built boxes and frames as fast as we could find lumber to make them from.
We managed to capture 7 of those and establish working hives. Lost 3 over the winter - two to not knowing that we would need to feed them with the late cold snaps, and one to moths (I hate wax moths).

This year we've caught 4 swarms. One didn't stay around - I don't think that queen much appreciated the old furniture we had decorated her new house with (old comb). I won't make that mistake again.

I'm on a couple of other forums that have this sort of feel to them (differing topics) so I decided to jump in and try and learn a bit about this hobby I find myself in. So far "only" 3 of the hives are residing at my house, with my FIL having 6 or 7 (they are a bit scattered, I lose count :D)

Anyway. That's what there is for an introduction. :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:07:02 pm by Vibe »
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Vibe - Central AR.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:31:45 pm »
Hello and Welcome Vibe
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:49:34 pm »
This year we've caught 4 swarms. One didn't stay around - I don't think that queen much appreciated the old furniture we had decorated her new house with (old comb). I won't make that mistake again.

Actually some old drawn combs are an enticement to the bees.  Usually swarms that abscond after hiving already had their prime realstate picked out prior to the move.  Also they preferred it over the digs you provided.  The 2 best ways to anchor a swarm into a hive after capture is to either use a queen excluder as an includer so the queen can't leave or use a frame of brood comb from another hive.  Bees will seldom leave brood comb for any reason.

Welcome to the life of a beekeeper, a never ending story.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline AGM

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:52:25 pm »
Welcome Vibe. If you have not done so already, check out the Central Arkansas Beekeepers Association.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:50 am »
Vibe, welcome to our forum, great you found us.  You have been busy with that swarmy thing, cool.  Stick around, this will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, you will have many, and also a great place to make friends.  have that wonderful day, to love and live this great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service