Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: (blue)birds and the bees  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Paul H

• New Bee
(blue)birds and the bees
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:10:14 pm »
Bluebirds finally decided to use the nesting box right next to (10' from) where I've located my bee hives.  Will the birds have any effect on the bees?

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: (blue)birds and the bees
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:59:30 am »
     I don't think so.  I have a nest used by english starlings that's almost that close, a robin pair nest on the other side (about 6' every year).  Various other birds 'hunt' the bee hives through out the spring, summer and fall, from the neighbors privacy fence.  The birds are seen on the ground in front of the hives eating bees found there.  They leave the flying bees and those on the hive alone, except for one or two occasionally (that I think are by accident).
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: (blue)birds and the bees
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:18:17 am »
You are not talking about Blue Jays are you? Those will attack you. One popped me in the head once. It hurt. Bled a little also.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything