Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MIDNIGHT HYBRID BEES  (Read 13059 times)

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
MIDNIGHT HYBRID BEES
« on: November 29, 2005, 09:29:21 am »
WHAT ARE MIDNIGHT HYBRID BEES? I SEE YOU CAN GET THEM IN JESSUP, GA. ARE THEY GENTLE?  COLVIN
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

manowar422

MIDNIGHT HYBRID BEES
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:14:18 pm »
Here are some web sources.

http://home1.gte.net/richwebb/beestrain.htm

HYBRI-BEES, INC.
11014 Stephenson Hwy
Onsted, MI. 49265
phone: 517-467-6501
email: hybribees@aol.com
- starline, midnite -

The Midnight Hybrid is a cross between two strains of bees,
they are reported to be a very gentle bee, but slow to
build up in spring.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
MIDNIGHT HYBRID BEES
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:38:18 pm »
I'm not aware of anyone selling them.  A lot of people ask about them.  York used to do the midnites and starlines.  I think Dadant started the program.  Is that link the new owners of York?  The midnites are usually very nice bees.  But all F1 hybrids tend to not be as good in the second generation.  They are an F1 cross of a strain of Caucasian and a strain of Carniolan.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
MIDNIGHT HYBRID BEES
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:47:17 am »
Quote from: Michael Bush
But all F1 hybrids tend to not be as good in the second generation.  They are an F1 cross of a strain of Caucasian and a strain of Carniolan.

If midnight is such a hybrid it quite impossible to get same level daughters. Daughter mate with 16 drones at the distance of 1-2 miles. But if queen is good it is worth to buy after 2 years usage.

When I raise queens I take only 1. generation what ever they are.

In Argentina they use crossing Caucasian and Italian.

Offline tom

• House Bee
does anyone still sell midnite bees
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:52:57 pm »
Hello to everyone i am new here my name is thomas and i live in virginia does anyone still sell midnite bees or are they a thing of the pass. I have just ordered two packages of carniolan and cordovan italians mixed if anyone know about this mixture could you let me know. And i want to thank Mr. Bush for all is wisdom and help.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
MIDNIGHT HYBRID BEES
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 01:55:38 pm »
I remember the midnite bee, it was all the rage in the 60's just like love beads.  If I recall correctly they didn't fair to well, especially in the northern climes.  I hived a swarm and after the first year re-queened to italian.  They had a tendency to swarm rather than build comb or store honey.  Their popularity died fast.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything