Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much honey is in these supers  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
How much honey is in these supers
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:21:57 am »
Hello everyone,
New  beek here (Ottawa, Ontario) area as of last summer, honey supers are on so honey is on the way.  Just wondering how much honey I may see.  What would one normally get from a super (shallow).  What would each frame weight?

In terms of bottling, what size do most work with and how does that translate into weight  ... meaning a pound of honey is bottled in a 500ml jar (sorry everyone, feel free to answer in ounzes if its easier).  Just trying to get a handle on what I need to purchase before I extract.
thanks 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: How much honey is in these supers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:31:02 am »
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. They may not fill the supers, or that may be all you have, with no honey in the brood boxes and you have to leave it for them.

IF.... You do get a harvest, a medium frame will yield approx. a liter, or 1.5 KG. Honey is approx. 1.5 times the weight of water, per volume.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:17:19 pm »
Plan on about one quart canning jar (Mason Jar) per frame of medium depth.  Shallows are significantly less.  Frames that are spaced wider than standard have significantly more).

Yup, and capped honey in July often vanishes in August. Just disappears (the bees move it down into the empty brood cells as the queen laying tapers off), or it gets devoured by the hive in the mid-summer dearth.  Whole supers get emptied out, seemingly overnight.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:33:41 pm »
When frames are full,  medium box gives 15 kg honery and langstroth 25 kg.

In late summer it is half of that when I take the last round off.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline jeepjivenwale

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:35:25 pm »
"A Pint is a pound the world around"...isn't necessarily true, but thats how I remeber my pounds in relation to volume.

I use 10 frame supers (6-5/8"), and see roughly 3 to 3.5 pds per frame.  Frame spacing will play a part in pounds per frame.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »
You must take it "about".
Language barrier NOT included

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:14:40 pm »
a.      A shallow super will typically yield between 25 and 30 pounds of honey, or 2 to 2 ½ gallons.
b.      A medium (6 5/8”) depth super will typically yield between 35 and 40 pounds, or 3 to 4 gallons.
c.       A full-depth box will typically yield between 60 and 70 pounds, or 5 to 6 gallons.
Actual yields vary due to the number of frames, how well they are extracted, age of comb and other variables.

I will let you do the conversions :-D
John 3:16

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 10:33:22 am »
Thanks sc-bee,
This is exactly what I was looking for!

anything