Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello! I just joined  (Read 2054 times)

Offline beemidwife

• New Bee
Hello! I just joined
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:55:15 pm »
I am hoping to find a good place to discuss my beekeeping experiences. This begins my 4th year keeping bees. I am interested in natural (sometimes called backward) beekeeping. I started with small cell bees and assume they are still so (If the queen mates with larger wild bees then what?) I have never used any 'treatments' natural or otherwise. I have seen one Varroa mite, no nosema, a moderate SHB problem in one hive where I used traps and 'beetle plucking' and that has really helped. I am working through my box of foundation,with foundationless hives as a goal. I am pleased that my girls are drawing beautiful comb on empty frames placed between drawn frames.

Both of my original hives are gone; one starved in the winter the other I guess absconded. I found a hive empty of bees but full of wax moths. Not sure what happened first. I now have a split from an original hive, a split from that hive, a hive from a nuc I bought last year and one swarm I recovered from the new hive this spring. (They started swarming while I was there. Truly a magical experience)

My issues/interests: I have never seen (recognized) one of my own queens. I have two weak hives now that need help. I don't really keep records and wonder if others do. I am never sure how much to harvest and when. I wonder if my hives are placed in the optimum locations. I am adding landscape plants that flower late in the season. I have been making some honey/herbal infusions with good results. I am interested in history and lore of bees as I am more than a little in awe of them and their mysterious ways.

So, lets chat!!

Beth

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Hello! I just joined
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:05:51 pm »
Welcome Beth! You've come to a good place.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:07:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:23:30 pm »
Welcome!   :rainbowflower:

Before I came to this site, I never knew that there were so many lady beekeepers!   :bee:

My wife helps me all of the time. She can spot the queen before I see it.

Larry

Offline JoanneMarie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:38:38 am »
Hi Beth,

Welcome.  I also just joined the forum.  Check out JP's videos, they helped me learn to spot the queen.  I do keep a bee journal.  I note when I add supers, a rough count of brood frames verses honey stores and when I've had to feed.  I've only had bees for a year but I figure it will help me identify problems going forward.

Joanne
Joanne Marie

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:49:41 am »
>My issues/interests: I have never seen (recognized) one of my own queens.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm

>I have two weak hives now that need help.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm

> I don't really keep records and wonder if others do.

If you count bricks on the lids...

> I am never sure how much to harvest and when.

Fall is good.  Leave them enough weight for winter.  How much will depend on your locale.  Ask the local beekeepers.

>I wonder if my hives are placed in the optimum locations.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#locating

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kevboab

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:17:53 pm »
Hello. Ive just joined forum using tapatalk and unable to create new thread, tapatalk only allowing me to reply so having to hijack another to get my first post up. Just to let you know im not a bot. :-)

Offline beeliever

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »
Mee too!!! I just got my very first hive and my mentor came by today we tasted a tiny drop of the first honey today. It tastes very light and a bit like sweet herbs.
It is a very light gold color. I am so excited! :rainbowflower:

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:17:30 pm »
Welcome to the site! I have only been here for 10 days and I'm learning a lot. Larry

anything