Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comb honey  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Comb honey
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:30:33 pm »
Looking for a new brick to beat my head on.  I successfully produce cut comb honey but the grass is always greener across the fence.  Any one have experience to share on successful production of rounds or hogg half combs or bee o pac ?  Just want something more transportable and less of a mess. Thanks for input.  Springs coming only -3 this morning and forties forecast within a week!  I am getting really really sick of winter!

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Comb honey
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »
I have been doing Ross Rounds for years. They sell well at stands and at the Apple Festival in Lovingston VA. The foundations are very fragile when cold so you may have to wait until spring to have some mailed to you. Every so often my bees will skip one round (out of 32 ) in the super. I can usually attribute it to my having touched the center of the foundation rather then the edge (and I had something the bees did not like on my hand). utherwise it has been worth putting one RR super on each of my 15 hives here at the house.(for some reason I have not put any in my out yards.)  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »
Do you rotate the frames in the super while it is being filled?  Do you get them successfully filled while having other supers on the bees?  Do you have to crowd the bees into the super?  Thanks for your answer and here I am demanding more! 

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 04:44:46 pm »
I use 3 mediums for my brood area, if the hive is weak, I put on a honey super then when things are going better, I will put on the RRs. If the hive is strong coming out of winter, I put on the RR super on right after the bees have restored their own stores. A few years (not recent years) I was able to put the RRs on twice durning the flow but let the bees determine when you put it on.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:30:27 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your time.