Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broodnest management  (Read 1428 times)

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
Broodnest management
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:49:46 am »
Hello all, was wondering if any of ya'll read the article in March ABJ by Roy Hendrickson on pg 223. I read where he prefers to use  a 10 frame hive body on top and a 9 frame med super on bottom for his broodnest. Just curious why just a 9 frame med under a 10 frame deep? Any of ya'll do this? I have 1 1/2 deep hives but both are 10 frame and the med is on top here in southeast Texas. Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Broodnest management
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »
I'm not sure of his reasons for changing the spacing, but probably he expects the medium to be full of pollen and honey.  Walt Wright keeps a shallow on the bottom for this.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:34:48 pm »
Michael:  I do not understand.  In situations where a deep and mediums are used, I have always read about the larger of the boxes being on the bottom.  Why would a smaller medium or shallow be under a deep?  The only reason I even notice this as strange is convention, so I am not arguing with the set up.  I am just curious.
Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:57:24 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin