Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: used stuff resource  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
used stuff resource
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:40:34 am »
i just got a good deal on some stuff.  also got a call to remove a feral hive.  have another lead on more stuff.

all came from www.craigslist.com.  i just posted a wanted add.  also found that people were good about emailing me about stuff they found.  got emails about bee stuff on ebay and goodwill auction site, from people on craigslist who had seen my add.

just one more way to spend money!!  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: used stuff resource
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:04:04 pm »
Craigslist has been around for a while, it is a great internet classified. Except for employers posting help wanted ads, all the site's ads are free of charge. It orginally started in San Francisco. The owner Craig Newmark has been noted for not becoming one of the dot com bombs. Craig hasn't taken on the huge mega buck salaries(he still does pretty well) that many other dot com people did and he has maintained a focus on what craigslist will be.

Unfortunatly the West Palm Beach craigslist doesn't get a lot of beekeeping stuff but it does get a lot of other very cool items. I got some river rocks for landscaping once for free. I had to go pick them up but they weren't far.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:22:52 pm »
 i have known about craigslist for a long time.  it either wasn't very big here or no one paid much attention.  i know i didn't, even though my brother in ca finds great stuff on it.

for whatever reason, i just hadn't thought to look on it until recently.  i'd been checking ebay, but they are getting more and more expensive...mostly  in the shipping!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 01:59:03 pm »
Kathy,

Craigslist is indeed a great place to post about swarm removal services. You'll probably see some of my posts here and there (looking for outyards, used gear, etc). You just got a cut-out? Good for you--how did it go? I'm always wary of doing anything structural, i.e. removing siding. Maybe I need to get over that.

Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:55:06 pm »
i put it off because of the weather.  we are still in the 20's at night.  this guy really wants this hive out, or i would put him off until spring.  as it is, i don't figure the hive will survive, but i'll consider it a practice.  either i give it a try, or he'll spray the bees.  hopefully, i can do it in a couple of weeks, but it's not looking good.....

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:33:19 pm »
Kathy,

There was a post last week from some guy asking for somebody to "get the bees out of his neighbor's wall before I kill them!". He sounded pretty hysterical. Wonder if he was hoping to have somebody come in and perform a cut out on his neighbor's property without that neighbor's permission?  :roll:

Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 01:10:38 pm »
maybe he needs some good anti-psychotic drugs....or a tin foil hat  :-) i don't know what your temps are like in town, but i was 22 degrees this am.  there is not way i can move those bees until it warms up some. 

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 07:37:31 pm »
I have been posting on Craigslist for a couple of years now, but have not found any bee stuff on there yet! I am still hopeful. I get all my firewood off of there for free. I just run ads when I need it and always get overwelmed with people wanting me to come get the wood off their lot. The list is owned by Ebay now so I don't think it will be free forever.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 07:54:49 pm »
I have been posting on Craigslist for a couple of years now, but have not found any bee stuff on there yet! I am still hopeful. I get all my firewood off of there for free. I just run ads when I need it and always get overwelmed with people wanting me to come get the wood off their lot. The list is owned by Ebay now so I don't think it will be free forever.

Ebay bought out an employee's share. Ebay only has a 25% stake in Craiglist not a majority. This purchase took place in 2004. Not much has changed with Craiglist. I suspect Craigslist will be fine.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything