Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive activity lopsidedness?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline vemergy

• New Bee
Hive activity lopsidedness?
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:47 pm »
Hi,

Usually, I have fairly even bee activity between the two hives I have (see pic form Tuesday 4/8).

Yesterday (Thursday, 4/10), I had almost no outside activity on one of the hives, and excessive (as far as I can tell) activity on the other.

Reason for a worry?

Regards,

George

PS.
Site not letting me post pics right now, but will post them a bit later when photo sharing is back online.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 02:39:51 pm by vemergy »

Offline vemergy

• New Bee
Re: Hive activity lopsidedness?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »
Added 2 pics from 4/8 (usual/normal activity between hives), and "abnormal" from 4/10 (one hive busy, the one one not so).

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:23:56 pm »
The one with the abnormal activity...did it look like they were fighting??? You may have some robbing going on?? Not sure.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:09:14 pm »
I would be going in to see what was happening.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:12:50 pm »
As Iddee said I would want to know what's happening but my first thought is one was orienting and the other was not.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »
I still get alarmed at times when you get a good orientation flight.  You look at your hives and figure there must be robbing with as many bees that are coming and going.  But when you look close it's all orderly, there's fanning, bees are coming with pollen, and everybody is getting along. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 01:55:28 am »
I have 9 hives in very close proximity to each other - right next to each other - and some times I worry about 1 or more hives as the 'traffic' is very slow then 5 - 10 mins later those hives are buzzing like the others. Could just be a lull in traffic as the field bees are all out and there is no orientation planned for that time... just a thought. But I must admit that my 2 queenless hives (Am giving brood and eggs in hopes that they fix the problem themselves soon enough) do have less 'traffic' more often.

Offline vemergy

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 10:02:21 am »
To my ability, I did not recognize any fighting (I did witness a bee last year fighting a wasp/yellow jacket while I was feeding in late summer).
High traffic did not look like fighting.  It looked at lot more like "bearding", but last summer, usually both hives bearded when they did, so it looked surprising that only one did this time.

Moreover, the non-traffic hive, has only one bottom entrance with solid bottom and non-ventilated inner cover, while the high traffic one, has two entrances (bottom and top) with a screened bottom board and ventilated inner cover, so if I was to see any bearding behavior, I was expecting to see it on the non-traffic hive -- yet the bees surprised me yet again.

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 10:21:42 am »
Git in 're!!! Beautiful day for an inspection!   FINALLY! :)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 01:48:48 pm »
I have 2 Langs hives (2 deep broodbox on both) on the same stand with a TBH (empty) between them. My "blue" hive is very active early in the morning. The "pink" takes a little longer to get really rolling but it seems to work longer after sundown. Been like that everyday for quite awhile. Guess they didn't set their clocks forward.

The "blue" hive does get some sun a few minutes before the "pink" hive but they are active even before the sun hits them.  There are more bees in "blue" and that may be the reason.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:43:39 am »
this does not happen much
the other day all three hives having their orienting flights at the same time
call it beautiful wonderful
I found it a bit scary (what would the neighbors say)?

jay

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:01 pm »
My hives tend to look like this after an inspection: