Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hemlock, pine and poplar  (Read 3242 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
hemlock, pine and poplar
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:31:59 pm »
I found a source of lumber and never used rough cut for hives. I have read that bees don't care, but what about us keepers?

Do the bees seem to propolize and or build comb off the rough cut more and if so. How much of a pain is it?

I can get hemlock rough for .75 ft.
Poplar and pine plane smooth at 1.05 ft.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: hemlock, pine and poplar
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:40:50 pm »
Rookie,
Bees tend to propolize the rough surface more than smooth surfaces. That said does it matter. They are constantly propolizing the mating surfaces and that is where the problem is. I have not tried it. Why not try it and let us know the results.
Another option, check on Craig's list for a plainer. Sometimes you can get a really good deal.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:35:01 am »
I read on one of these forums that rough cut lumber making them proplize or whatever it is called, may be healthier for the bees.  I can't reamember if it was hive beetles or mites.  I keep thinking it was a speach that Thomas seeley made to a bee club but I just can't remember for sure where I read it. 
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:01:14 pm »
When bees are inside of a hollow tree they propolize the inside of the cavity. It stops the mold and bacteria from growing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:50:22 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I ordered some poplar planed and some rough hemlock. If the hemlock gets too much propolis, i will just convert them to whims, quilt boxes and top feeders. I will keep you posted.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:18:57 am »
Well, it seems that the lumber I bought is too wet and have to let it dry for a year. It is fresh cut. So another year investment project here. But on the bright side, Next year I can buy green wood and replace it with this wood. I was off a little on the price. The poplar was $1 bd. Ft. Planed to a 7\8" thickness, .90 if they didnt plane it. But I wanted it planed. Looks nice on both sides, so maybe some of that will be something other than all bee boxes.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:22:03 pm »
Rookie,
If the wood is green, you do not want to plane it until you get it to the moisture content it will be after it is completed. By letting it dry, (stacked, stickers and strapped to reduce warping) and then planing it, you can reduce the effects of any warping that occurred during the drying process.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 05:48:06 am »
 Thanks Jim, I did have them plane it and it is now 7/8" thick. I guess it has room for planing one more time if needed. I stickered it every 16" and was thinking about putting bar clamps around it but straps will definitely keep my clamps free.
 Thanks for the tip, next time I will leave it rough until it dries.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 07:23:04 am »
No problem Rookie. Good luck.
Jim
Ben Franklin