Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My home made 9 frame radial extractor  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
My home made 9 frame radial extractor
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:44:15 pm »
Not one for half measures I decided to make my own 9 frame extractor. My nephew who is a welder of stainless steel made the spinner cage and I made the rest from scrape iron and a sheet of Colorbond.The self draining bottom was fashioned from an old satellite dish.
It is powered by a high torque low RPM drill designed for stirring paint and plaster mixes.

And a video of it working
https://youtu.be/u5bm7FmO12U
David L

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: My home made 9 frame radial extractor
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:13:31 am »
That's a nice piece of work! More pictures?

Thanks for sharing,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:22:53 pm »
Nice.   :wink: -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:45:42 am »
Can I borrow that this weekend?  :grin: Nice. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:58 am »
Nice job Wombat. I cannot tell but if your drain is pointing down with the drain in the center of the bottom, it will probably work better than my commercial unit.
Ji9
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:55:05 am »
Nice job Wombat. I cannot tell but if your drain is pointing down with the drain in the center of the bottom, it will probably work better than my commercial unit.
Ji9

I made the bottom out of an old satelite dish ( which turned out to elipitcal - not round - grrr) and yes the tap is in the middle and is self draining.  I built it high enough off the floor to get a 30 kg bucket with a double seive on it but the first use the flow out was faster than the seive could cope so now I run straight into the bucket and seive later
David L

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:40 am »
That's a beauty! Some lucky grandkid is probably gonna get to pass that down to another - looks like it's build to last a few lifetimes  :cool:
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 01:11:43 am »
Not one for half measures I decided to make my own 9 frame extractor. My nephew who is a welder of stainless steel made the spinner cage and I made the rest from scrape iron and a sheet of Colorbond.The self draining bottom was fashioned from an old satellite dish.
It is powered by a high torque low RPM drill designed for stirring paint and plaster mixes.

And a video of it working
https://youtu.be/u5bm7FmO12U

This is really nice. I looked on your youtube channel and could not find any more on this.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 09:46:17 am »
A center drain is good for cleaning but a side port would give you some settling of debris making straining easier and access to the port easier.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 01:55:03 am »
Wombat, how did this work out for you? How did the extractor perform when loaded? Are you still using it? Any problems or things you might do differently?  Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:32:57 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.