Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncorked and drained... now what do I do?  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
Uncorked and drained... now what do I do?
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:13 am »
I uncorked a frame of honey and drained it, for about a week now. most of the honey is out.

What do I do with the frame now?

Do i put it outside for the girls to clean up?

Will they repair the parts of the comb that I messed up or am I supposed to just scrape everything off?
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Uncorked and drained... now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:31 am »
The girls will clean it up. Stick it back in the hive. I have never heard "uncorked" used to refer to honey capping but I kind of like it.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:21 am »
The girls will clean it up. Stick it back in the hive. I have never heard "uncorked" used to refer to honey capping but I kind of like it.

Lol. I meant uncapped. I've been calling the uncapping fork an uncorking fork.. It's been a long week for me!!!

Thanks for the info! :)

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:07:00 pm »
Did you take only one frame out? If so put it in the same spot, do not leave it on top of the hive to be cleaned as this could lead to robbing.  - Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:13:40 pm »
Did you take only one frame out? If so put it in the same spot, do not leave it on top of the hive to be cleaned as this could lead to robbing.  - Mike

I did, but placed an empty frame in its spot. Should I switch them? put the empty honey one instead of the empty empty frame?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:37:53 pm »
>I uncorked a frame of honey and drained it, for about a week now. most of the honey is out.

I've never gotten any significant amount of honey by that method.  I wonder what the water content is?  And what kind of honey it is?  Yes the bees will clean it up if you put it back in the hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:36 pm »
the empty frame should be fine. but if you are leaving it out for the bees to rob don't leave it near the hive.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:44:42 pm »
the empty frame should be fine. but if you are leaving it out for the bees to rob don't leave it near the hive.

Thank you! But why shouldn't it be placed near the frame?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 01:18:10 pm »
What we are saying if you leave a frame full of honey out near your hives, if there is no flow on, it will cause severe robbing that starts on the frame and moves to your hives. The best thing to do is take that empty frame back out and replace it with the honey frame.
If you cannot put it back in the hive, place it at least 100' from your hives. That way the bees will tell their fellow bee right where it is instead of, when it is close by, it is out there somewhere, go find it.
I 'm surprised the small hive beetles did not slime that frame and fill it with eggs and larvae after sitting out for a week.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 01:49:46 pm »
What we are saying if you leave a frame full of honey out near your hives, if there is no flow on, it will cause severe robbing that starts on the frame and moves to your hives. The best thing to do is take that empty frame back out and replace it with the honey frame.
If you cannot put it back in the hive, place it at least 100' from your hives. That way the bees will tell their fellow bee right where it is instead of, when it is close by, it is out there somewhere, go find it.
I 'm surprised the small hive beetles did not slime that frame and fill it with eggs and larvae after sitting out for a week.
Jim

Thanks. Wasn't sure what the distance was for! It's been inside. I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 01:53:18 pm »
>I uncorked a frame of honey and drained it, for about a week now. most of the honey is out.

I've never gotten any significant amount of honey by that method.  I wonder what the water content is?  And what kind of honey it is?  Yes the bees will clean it up if you put it back in the hive.

I got around 24 ounces out.... I didn't know there was different kinds. And how would i figure out the water content?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 03:04:55 pm »
Water content can only be accurately measured with a refractometer or samples of known content.  With a sample of known water content and both yours and the sample at the same temperature (room temperature is fine) you flip them upside down and time the bubbles.  If yours' is slower the content is lower.  If yours is faster the water content is higher.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 04:45:52 pm »
Water content can only be accurately measured with a refractometer or samples of known content.  With a sample of known water content and both yours and the sample at the same temperature (room temperature is fine) you flip them upside down and time the bubbles.  If yours' is slower the content is lower.  If yours is faster the water content is higher.

Thanks Michael!