Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Super Dimensions question  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
Super Dimensions question
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »
Are there standard dimensions for medium supers or does it depend on what supplier you buy them from?

If thats the case, does the frame size differ as well or are they all the same size?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm having some 8 frame mediums built for me, but I'm running into problems. The woodworker wants dimensions and I'm running into some problems with getting them to him. Can someone help me and perhaps give me dimensions of an 8 frame medium super and frame dimensions...if they differ?

~mary

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Super Dimensions question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:41:01 pm »
Are there standard dimensions for medium supers or does it depend on what supplier you buy them from?

If thats the case, does the frame size differ as well or are they all the same size?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm having some 8 frame mediums built for me, but I'm running into problems. The woodworker wants dimensions and I'm running into some problems with getting them to him. Can someone help me and perhaps give me dimensions of an 8 frame medium super and frame dimensions...if they differ?

~mary

An 8 frame medium is most commonly 13 3/4 wide east of the Rockie Mountains and 13 7/8 west of the Rockies.  Don't ask me why, just one of those things.  Western Bee supply makes 4 different widths of 8 frame hives.  13 7/8, 13 3/4, 14 0, and 14 1/4.  In the later you can squeeze in 9 frames.

I would chose either the 13 7/8 or the 13 3/4 width dimension as you can use both at the same time without too much trouble, the difference is 1/8th inch in width.  The length and depth should be the same as all other supers whether 8, 10, or 12 frame.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:56:33 pm »
All mediums are 6 5/8" deep.  All Langstroth boxes are 19 7/8" long.  The width is as Brian said.  All mine are 13 3/4".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:08:37 pm »
My son and I just built our boxes for this spring and we followed the Dadant plans here

http://www.beesource.com/plans/index.htm

J-

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »
If you should decide to make the slatted rack illistrated make sure the slats run longwise not shortwise as is shown.  They work better forbees festooning off the underside of the rack to prevent bearding that way.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:01:43 pm »
Thank you all. That was exactly the info I was looking for.

~mary

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:12:23 pm »
Ha! I feel like a complete moron now! Scrolling down the page I noticed that someone asked this question back in Jan....And I was just sittin here patting myself on the back for checking first before posting.....pride goeth before a fall, I guess.... :-D

anything