Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: From Italian to Carniolan in 21 days!  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
From Italian to Carniolan in 21 days!
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:55:36 pm »
One of my newly installed Italian Nuc is changing rapidly. When I installed it almost 90 % of the bees were Italians.  Now 27 days after instilation almost half of the population is well.... black bees.... Carniolan! Is this possible?

The queen was an Italian queen installed by the guy I bought the nuc from! What happened?

-Rodni

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: From Italian to Carniolan in 21 days!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:22:34 pm »
If the queen was properly mated, the bees have 15 to 20 different daddies. What strain were they?

Unless they are AI, you don't know what kind of bees a queen will produce.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »

Sounds like my first wife.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:45 pm »
I have 3 Carnie hives and 2 of them are laying Italian looking brood at the moment.  Next week or next month it might be all dark bees hatching instead.  As long as you have a live, active queen don't worry about the color of the workers.  Diversity is a good thing.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:31:51 pm »
My first hatch from my Carnie queen looks very Italian...with some cordovan and darks mixed in.  It is actually pretty cool to watch then entrance and see the variety of colors of bees in the hive...but mostly italian looking. 
-Mike

anything