Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can the Queen fly whilst she is laying eggs  (Read 2076 times)

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
Can the Queen fly whilst she is laying eggs
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:03:44 pm »
I read in another thread about the queen stops laying eggs before she and most of the hive are about to swarm. Which then got me thinking

When the workers feed her and she is laying egg's can she actually fly or is her body weight to much for her ????

Regards
Stephen

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Can the Queen fly whilst she is laying eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:30 pm »
In my opinion they have to quit laying so they can slim down to fly.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:14:52 pm »
Steve, I think that the comment Dallas made will be a common consensus.  The bees stop the queen from laying eggs when they are preparing to swarm.  She has very short wings and if she was heavy, laden with eggs, she could not get lift-off, hee, hee.  That is another pretty sure sign that a colony is in swarm preparation, no eggs (and of course the queen cells).  Have a fantastic day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:18:30 pm »
Thanks , i was thinking more of bee removal from sites where the swarm had been there a while. Basically the queen will be the last bee there ....

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:32:01 pm »
>When the workers feed her and she is laying egg's can she actually fly or is her body weight to much for her?

Typically a commercial Italian queen can't fly or at least can't fly more than a few feet when she's laying.  Typically, the feral survivors I have can fly fine whether they are laying or not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:34:22 pm »
i've notice they put the queen on a diet when the swarming impulse hits. once i see a queen thats thin, warning bells go off and im sure to find the start of a lot of queen cells.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:22:32 pm »
Okay the answer to this is Yes. A laying queen can fly. She cannot fly far but she can fly. A laying queen flies off with a swarm in search of a new home. She may not go far and may get help from workers in flying but yes she can fly. I will also say this I have seen a queen fly out of queen cage when I opened one. It was quite surprising. She didn't fly far but she did make it across the kitchen.

Also many people have done queen cage introductions and had the queen fly off after opening the cage. So yes queens can fly. not like workers can but they can fly far enough to get away.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything