Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Location Question  (Read 3412 times)

Offline bullybrink

• New Bee
Hive Location Question
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:50:40 pm »
Where I am wanting to put my hive faces some scrubs. The bees enterance would be about 10 feet from the scrubs and the scrubs are about 10 feet tall. Will this mess up the bees flight pattern?

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Hive Location Question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:54:44 pm »
No, the bees will adjust to it.  The big thing I like to do is having them face the morning sun to get them out of bed and working.  The bush may prevent some of that but you will have to be the judge on that one.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 03:55:16 pm »
No that could be a good thing it will cause the bees flight path to be higher

Keith

Offline bullybrink

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 04:25:22 pm »
No that could be a good thing it will cause the bees flight path to be higher

Keith

That is what I was hoping for. I want the bees to not cause problems for the neighbors. I just wasn't sure if the 10 feet would give them enough room to come and go. As for sun, they would be facing the morning sun (althought the shrub will filter some of the first morning sun). My husband says I am way overthinking this but I want my bees to have a great start.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:58:30 pm »
Mine are facing east with a tall bamboo stand to the east of them about 20 feet, our house to the south about 10 feet.  Behind them to the west is the fence with the neighbor, about 15 feet away.  To the north is a tall grapefruit tree about 15 feet away.  They get sun most of the day.  They take off pretty much straight up and head right over the roof.  I seldom see them coming and going over the neighbors to the west.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »
To the north is a tall grapefruit tree about 15 feet away. 

Grapefruits grow on trees?  That is interesting, never thought about how they grow before, smiling.  Have a most wonderfully awesome and beautiful day, Cindi

PS, kind of like I recently learned that peanuts grow underground  8-) :lol:
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:38:28 pm »

Grapefruits grow on trees?  That is interesting, never thought about how they grow before, smiling.  Have a most wonderfully awesome and beautiful day, Cindi

Oh Cindi.....Now I'm going to need to go back and reconsider all that advise you gave me.... :buttkick:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:53:29 pm »

Oh Cindi.....Now I'm going to need to go back and reconsider all that advise you gave me.... :buttkick:

Oh Mike!!!  You makka me laugh, dear friend!!!   :shock:  :-X  ;)   :)Have that most beautiful, most awesomely great and happy day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline gwalker314

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 03:40:40 pm »
Hi,
I am new to beekeeping. I will be getting my 1st hive very soon and I was also concerned about hive placement. I live in an older subdivision where the lots are 1/2 - 1 acre large. I am not so much worried about the neighbors because of the distance. I see in photos that alot of beekeepers have there hives on the edges of the property/treeline. I would like to place mine about 10 feet beyond the tree line becuase we have a 3 yr old grand daughter who plays outside with us. I would hate for a hive to turn hot and her get stung.
This would put the hive under trees and it would be shady pretty much all day. I was just looking for some advice or suggestions.
I live in central Alabama

Thanks

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 03:50:25 pm »

Cindi, have you ever picked any grits? I planted some yesterday...can't wait to pick.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 03:55:27 pm »
Hi,
I am new to beekeeping. I will be getting my 1st hive very soon and I was also concerned about hive placement. I live in an older subdivision where the lots are 1/2 - 1 acre large. I am not so much worried about the neighbors because of the distance. I see in photos that alot of beekeepers have there hives on the edges of the property/treeline. I would like to place mine about 10 feet beyond the tree line becuase we have a 3 yr old grand daughter who plays outside with us. I would hate for a hive to turn hot and her get stung.
This would put the hive under trees and it would be shady pretty much all day. I was just looking for some advice or suggestions.
I live in central Alabama

Thanks

They (experts) say they fair better in full sun and in cooler climates I am sure they would. In the south, the shade feels good to a suited up beekeeper on a hot summer day. The bees don't seem to mind either.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:21:45 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »
Cindi, have you ever picked any grits? I planted some yesterday...can't wait to pick.
Steve

OK, Steve, now I know that you really are a joshin' and a goshin'!!!  I actually have no clue what grits are, but I think they might be something like porridge and I know that you cannot plant, nor pick porridge, smiling.  Have that great and most awesomely lovely day, eat your grits!!!  Cindi

anything