Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cold Weather Coming Up  (Read 4259 times)

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
Cold Weather Coming Up
« on: January 10, 2005, 08:13:17 pm »
We're supposed to be getting some cold weather here (-17°F) in the next couple days for a day or two. Is there anything special I should do to my hive? Right now I just have it wrapped with tar paper and the inner cover raised a bit.
Thanks!
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 08:35:59 pm »
I hope they have a good wind block, that is the real killer. The important stuff of course was setting them up good with plenty of honey, besides that trying to keep sun on them and out of the wind is about all you can do.

If you can get them into a shed or other shelter until the cold spell passes would be ideal, you sure won't have them having to re-establish their location cause no way are they coming out of a cluster.

Good luck and let us know how long those temps stay around - ouch at -17F...
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 01:49:54 am »
I don't think it's possible to move the hive at this point, so, would it be ok to wrap the hive with a blanket or something?? Or would it be good to go the terrarium heater route?
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------

Offline Sting

• House Bee
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 12:57:57 pm »
Hi Buzz:

Don't worry about the cold.

The mean January temperature where I live is -15 C. (5 F.) so we are frequently as cold or colder than you are, especially overnight.  For example, our coldest day in December was -44 C. (-47.2 F.), and guess what:  my bees are just fine.  It isn't the cold that hurts them; it is the lack of ventillation and/or of food. As Beemaster says, as long as they are out of the wind, they'll be fine.

My hives are surrounded by a thick, high cedar hedge to cut the wind.  I wrap my hives loosely with old carpeting with the nap to the inside and flaps cut out for the reduced entrance and for the upper vent.  I also build snow up around the boxes as this is a very good insulator.  It works like an igloo.  Have you ever read any Jack London?

Check out my link (below) to a webcam of our parliament.  Today it is a balmy -15 C.  (10 F.)  Great for skiing!
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 02:43:37 pm »
Great Post Sting:

I swear I'll never complain about our -5 we tend to see for a week or two come late January. Of course, I'm usually out in it about 3 hours every night, walking between massive airplane hangars where the wind often reaches 50 knots - making the windchill deadly. Still, I'll put on the heavy gloves and hat and bare it like a man (a cold, shivering man with cramps and spasms) but a man - lol.

But you are right, wind break and BREATHABLE insulation are the tricks to surviable cold spells. Buzz, be careful with anything that can trap in humidity and you should be fine.

Just thinking how New Jersey sounds like Florida compared to what you got there Sting - ouch!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 12:37:47 pm »
Well, it looks like our cold spell is over here. They had been predicting -17, but in only got to 1.6°F last night. Anyway, I piled snow up against the sides of the hive, so I'm sure they were warm. Heres a picture:

Scott
----------
----------

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 12:51:28 pm »
We have snow not at all in Helsinki. It was last in 1973/74  winter when we same  green landscape in January in our parks.  It is raining hevily and many houses must be protected from water. I bougt my first apartment then and I payed it with  honey money. Honey was really valuable  in those days.  But but, inflation was 15% annually. Loans dropped rapidly.

Offline Sting

• House Bee
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 03:50:11 pm »
Hey Buzz!  Your hive looks ready for the cold weather.  There may be more cold weather to come for all of us before this winter dies away.
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Cold Weather Coming Up
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 04:05:21 pm »
Our bee club president says that mild winters such as this (for us in Upstate NY) are actually harder on the bees. He says the fluctuating temps aren't good for them, and constant cold with a few breaks for cleansing flights is better.

We'll see.
Lesli