Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Water  (Read 6111 times)

Offline fishman

• New Bee
Bee Water
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:09:49 am »
Just passing along a silly way I have been watering my bees. I had one of those cheap garden fountains in the shed, look like an old hand pump over a bucket? I put some clean old window screen over the opening so they couldn't fall in. Then under the stream passing through this screen back into the bucket, I placed some rocks of various size. This allows the stream to splatter on the rocks, the bees just walk on the screen and rock to drink, and none have drown yet.   That way when I am gone to work, they have pretty fresh, non stagnate water. Been working good so far.

Offline goatmanbees

• House Bee
  • The name is in reference to Pan.
Re: Bee Water
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:52:45 am »
Could you post a few pictures?  I've been contemplating on how to water my bees better.

Bill

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:26:03 pm »
I am of the impression that bees will not forage near their hive.  I wonder if they will drink from a very nearby source.

I have two bird baths in my yard, one about fifteen feet away from my hive, and another about sixty feet away with stones in both so the butterflies can drink yet I have never seen a bee in either.  Alive nor dead.  I also have a creek that flows directly behind my yard so there is no water shortage.  I have also heard that bees like chlorinated water and often drown in swimming pools, but perhaps that is because they have no other source of water.

Just wondering (or wandering).

8-)

Offline fishman

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:23:35 pm »
Yeah nor sure of the forage near hives? There is no natural water within about a mile, so they seem happy with my help. this also seems to keep water fresher and cooler? 

Offline melliferal

• House Bee
  • @Checkmite
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:47:14 pm »
It's my experience that bees aren't so concerned about the quality of water so long as there is some - they'll take it from a faucet, or someone's chlorinated swimming pool, or an algae-filled mud puddle.  I'm guessing they're able to "osmote" the water out of the rest of the contaminants somehow.  Mostly your motivation for making sure their source is clean, fresh, and local is to make life better for you, by keeping your bees from pestering neighbors and preventing your water sources from becoming mosquito incubators.
Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:27:17 pm »
I saw mine drinking from my leaky water hose today.  Tens of them around the end of it drinking.  The hose is around 15 yards from the hive.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:44:23 pm »
This water supply is 10 feet from my hives.  Bees will be all over it when they need water and it keeps them out of my neighbors pools plants etc.
It gets a bit nasty with alge here and there but it's no worse than the mud in the ditches I see them drinking out of.
I also have noticed that a water source with calcium in it seems to draw them. 
I have oyster shell in the bottom and its a concrete barrel half.
Bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 02:57:37 pm »
I wonder if the calcium or just alakine substances? I have noticed if the cement patio has puddles in the summer the bees are drinking from them. Once it's dry it's back to the garden pond.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:16:40 pm »
Both bleached oyster shell and cement cause the same draw.
Guess I would have to do some ph testing to know for sure and even then it would be hard to tell
What is really drawing.   
Just know it works. Oh and for those wondering what they are landing on its pool noodles cut into donuts
With a serrated knife.  Very little drowning with this setup
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 05:07:22 pm »
Bees prefer dirty water to chlorinated or clean water. But with the coming of the giant misquotes to our shores ,don't want standing water.. JPP

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:12:02 pm »
Will swap you your Mosquitos for ours any day
Bailey

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:32:16 pm »
So as long as I have water in the creek that runs through my property the bees should be good?
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:31:06 pm »
As long as they find it yes.  But a water barrel is still a good backup if the creek runs dry
Bailey

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 08:09:44 pm »
Ithink you will find that bees prefer their water warm. So it splashing on warm cement works. I have bees travelling less than two metres to a water source. I built a sun trap out of 2 dark coloured(blue) bricks standing on a cement slab. I placed a contact feeder on the bricks so it drips on to the slab between the bricks. The sun warms the contact feeder forcing some warm water out on to the slab.  The sun warms the dark bricks The bees drink the water from the slab or even the bricks.  From the number of bees drinking I would say it works.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:58 pm »
I use a white 5 gallon plastic bucket.
Go down from the top about 2 inches and drill 4 one inch holes around the bucket 90 degrees apart.
that lets the water have an overflow point.
Fill the bucket with water and add Styrofoam peanuts, the packing peanuts, enough to cover the water.
I call them Bee Boats.
The bees will land on the peanuts and drink the water.
For some reason the bees prefer a white bucket over the grey ones.
I put out 2 white buckets and 3 grey buckets, the bees use the white bucket, ain't got a clue why.
I put these buckets out in all my beeyards.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 11:51:15 am »
For some reason the bees prefer a white bucket over the grey ones.
I put out 2 white buckets and 3 grey buckets, the bees use the white bucket, ain't got a clue why.

Im only new to the world of bees, but a beek i visited a few days ago told me Bees prefer lighter colours. They can get aggressive with darker colour such as grey.

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 10:24:12 am »
I have a small wading pool that I was going to use for hydroponics.  It has an umbrella plant that is everywhere now and pinestraw and rain water.  Bees love it. Dogs love it.  Frogs love it.

Offline Verbal17

• Brood
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 11:14:01 am »
Interesting info. Thx