Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some TBH Questions  (Read 7103 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Some TBH Questions
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »
I have been looking at some of the TBHs that other members have posted and the more I see them, the more I would like to have one.

Some questions:

1.  I was thinking of replacing the hive's solid bottom floor with the type of screen used in SBBs to assist in house keeping, mite drop, etc.  My only concern the winter.  Do you suppose that this could pose a chill problem for the bees?

2.  How can I go about splitting a Langstroth hive into a TBH?  I am thinking I could put a caged queen into the TBH and shaking bees from the host hive into the TBH and let it build up as if it were a package start up.

Thanks!   8-)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline shawnwri

• House Bee
Re: Some TBH Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:49:33 pm »
if you replaced the whole bottom with screen it seems like chilling might be a problem.  a lot more surface area than with a langstroth

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:22:03 pm »
>1.  I was thinking of replacing the hive's solid bottom floor with the type of screen used in SBBs to assist in house keeping, mite drop, etc.  My only concern the winter.  Do you suppose that this could pose a chill problem for the bees?

If you leave it open.  Yes.  If you have a plastic cardboard tray to slide in, no.

>2.  How can I go about splitting a Langstroth hive into a TBH?  I am thinking I could put a caged queen into the TBH and shaking bees from the host hive into the TBH and let it build up as if it were a package start up.

If you build some "swarm ketching" frames (see www.beesource.com plans) or just build some frames to fit and tie some brood comb in the frames (a cutout) or you just build the Top Bar hive to take Langstroth sized frames and then mix them with top bars, you can get some brood in it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:41:41 pm »
if you replaced the whole bottom with screen it seems like chilling might be a problem.  a lot more surface area than with a langstroth

I've found that use of a slatted rack creates a "dead" air layer between the SBB and the frames.  this layer is thermal (insolating) in nature and removes the need for closing up the bottom in any way.  Except for having hives blown over in near 100 mph winds the slatted rack has kept the hives viable to at least 15 F, which is pretty low for Western Washington, without obstructing the screen in any way.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!