Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with these slatted racks?!  (Read 3669 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
What to do with these slatted racks?!
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:15:28 am »
I made an online-ordering mistake and ended up with a few slatted racks rather than a few bottom boards. Considering the amount of money involved in shipping my mistake back to the supplier and the restocking charge, I'm considering how I might use the slatted racks.

This year, I've switched to Michael Bush's top-entrance set up. I've converted my bottom boards to bottom feeders (http://www.bushfarms.com/images/FeederTop.jpg).

So, this is the way it looks from the ground up right now: bottom board converted to a feeder; medium super #1; medium super #2; migratory cover with shims attached to serve as top entrance.

I'm open to ideas of what the heck to do with these slatted racks (the racks run parallel to the frames).

-Liz

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: What to do with these slatted racks?!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:05:34 pm »
I was under the impression that there were two reasons for using a slated rack.  First to break up any wind blowing in a bottom entrance and secondly to provide a place for bees to roost under the brood chamber.  If that is true, then it seems like you could still see at least 1 advantage using a slatted rack above your bottom board (bottom feeder).  In your case, the slatted rack would just provide a place for bees to roost under the brood chamber and may reduce crowding on those frames.  If you’ve got the slatted racks just sitting around anyways, I don’t see how it could hurt to put them over your bottom feeder as an experiment. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:23:50 am »
Staple some #8 hardware cloth to the bottom of the slatted rack.  Nail two 3/4" by 3/4" strips the long way for rails so you can slip a tray under it.  Put it on a stand and use it as a SBB.  It works great.  Better than a regular SBB as you get the advantages of a slatted rack as well.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:19:14 am »
Staple some #8 hardware cloth to the bottom of the slatted rack.  Nail two 3/4" by 3/4" strips the long way for rails so you can slip a tray under it.  Put it on a stand and use it as a SBB.  It works great.  Better than a regular SBB as you get the advantages of a slatted rack as well.

This set up eliminates my bottom-board feeder, right? Are you suggesting using the tray to feed? No...that wouldn't work because it's open. Sorry for my lack of creativity here, but how do I feed if the slatted racks replace my feeders?

(By the way, Michael, I doubted you when you said the converted-bottom-board-to-feeder would hold up to a gallon of syrup. I tested it. It freakin' does. I poured and poured and poured.)

-Liz

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:42:44 pm »
>This set up eliminates my bottom-board feeder, right?

Yes.  In that case  just put the slatted rack on after you're done feeding.  if you put it on before it creates excess space that will make it difficult for them to drink the syrup.  They tend to hang down from the bottom bars to eat the syrup...

> Are you suggesting using the tray to feed? No...that wouldn't work because it's open.

No that wouldn't work.

>Sorry for my lack of creativity here, but how do I feed if the slatted racks replace my feeders?

Thought you were just trying to use the slatted racks in place of bottoms.  They won't work for feeders.

>(By the way, Michael, I doubted you when you said the converted-bottom-board-to-feeder would hold up to a gallon of syrup. I tested it. It freakin' does. I poured and poured and poured.)

The ten frame does anyway...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:22:12 am by Michael Bush »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:56:59 am »
Thanks for the help. I think I've got my slatted-rack plan now. And I like it. :)

-Liz

anything