Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: step by step - how to start up a new hive  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
step by step - how to start up a new hive
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:45:51 am »
I'm still reading posts, and have read beekeeping for dummies. I have found a place to buy a new hive.
What I don't know is:

What is the order I should be doing things?
I'm near Ottawa, Canada so most of the snow should be melted away by sometime in April , with the odd snowfall after that will melt away after a few days.

When should I buy(or order) the queen and the other bees?
I need a step by step scheduled guide on how to set it up so that I'm not missing something important at some point and to ensure the best possible results (for a beginner).

I don't have a beekeeping buddy to help me along and to ask questions to, so I'm asking you.

Is there a step by step guide I can buy?

Oh Canada!

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Re: step by step - how to start up a new hive
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:55:05 am »
OK,

First, go ahead and buy your equipment and hardware now, that way you can be putting it together over the winter.

Order your packages or nucs NOW for delivery in April/May.  If you wait too long, everyone may be sold out.

Look for a beekeeping club in your area.

Once you get your equipment assembled, try to decide where you are going to put it. Find a nice level spot that gets morning sun.

The week before your bees are supposed to arrive, go ahead and put your equipment in location so it's ready when your bees arrive.

Install bees!

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »
Contact your local Beekeepers Association or Ag extension. They should be able to guide you.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:59:23 pm »
Hive placement is important.  You want the bees to get morning sun which will get them out of bed and foraging earlier.  I place mine facing east.  And remember they have their own GPS and will come back to the EXACT same spot so make sure the place you pick is going to be the place they stay.  You don't want to put them in one corner of the yard and then realize they would be better on the other side because you have to walk through their flight path to get to the garden shed.  Then you'll end up having to move them a couple feet at a time so the foragers don't get lost. 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:56:19 pm »
Hive placement is important.
I have mine facing south because of geographical and wind directional considerations.  They come and go from the beeyard in a southerly direction regardless of the direction the entrance is pointed so why not make it easier and point the hives the same direction as the bees fly?
The more sun they can get for a longer part of the day the better, mine get sun from sun up to sun down.  They are also set up along the fence row between the yard and the orchard, pointing towards the orchard.  They're out of everybodies way except when mowing the orchard or working the bees.
Any step-by-step guide is more useful after you have the bees in the hive.
Get several books on beekeeping and read them now.
Get the equipment you're going to need, plus extra (newbe's almost always under puchase hive equipment) and put it together now.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 06:43:22 pm »
 ;) Thank you!!
I have the place for them already selected, where the will get morning sunshine to wake them up and then filtered sunlight throughout the day. I just have to do some clearing of the brush (old fields) in the area once Spring comes and set up a stand/base so that the skunks and racoons will be bitten if they come around. There are bears in the area. I guess we'll have to see what happens with that as I'm not prepared to buy an electric fence for a hive or 2.

I'll look into ordering my bees next. I'm assuming I should go with Italian bees. It seems they're the most common. Any comments/guidance on that would also be appreciated.

I've tried a few times to contact organisations here. Not much success yet. I'm assuming winter slows down email responses for beekeepers!

Its all new and I'm going from being overwhelmed, to excited, to confused, to info overload and back again!!

Thanks again!

Algonam

Oh Canada!

Offline Joebee

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »
If you live near bears I think that the electric fence should come before the bees. I live in A bear corridor and I knew that I didn't stand A chance without the hot wires. I put four inch fence posts ran five wires then called the biologists that work with fish and wildlife.They suggested that I get A 0.8joules fencer minimum. They said that anything less will be so lite of A shock that the bear will jump forward with the jolt of electricity and end up inside with my little girls. Once inside they can have A wonderful smorgasbord. When it is time to leave they are full so A little shock doesn't matter. In my opinion one of the saddest things that A beekeeper can see is your hives scattered across forty acres. I have had two bears try there luck. I wish that I would have had A motion sensor camera to show me just what happened. The first attack on my fence was the worst the bear hit the fence then he bounced off of my truck then he got even with that nasty fence by totaling my sprinkler and one garden hose.He went away and my bees are just fine.That was A year ago. Last year one tried his luck. His luck was bad because he broke A hot wire and I think that the wire kind of hooked to him because there was definitely signs of A real war. Some Asian pears were knocked off of A tree that he ran into on his way out of that nasty place that hurts like that. Once again my bees were safe. I sure hope that this helps someone that has to put up with bears.            Joe Clark

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything