Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New-bee  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Beesong

• Brood
New-bee
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:07:37 pm »
New-bee here!  (sorry, couldn't resist).  I'm from SW Michigan and this is my 2nd year in beekeeping.  My hubby and 13 yo daughter help in this venture, and they're very supportive!  Despite my generosity in leaving all the honey in my hive overwinter, my ignorance killed the bees when I didn't vent well enough, and they froze and died.  I was able to harvest 3 gallons of honey with our home-made extractor.  Rookie mistake that won't happen again.

We had an unseasonably mild winter, and the fruit trees and plants that usually begin blossoming at the beginning of May and last 10-12 weeks have all blossomed at once and it's almost over!  The plethora of dandelions in my yard are a saving grace :) 

I ordered another 3# box of bees coming from GA, and I also picked up a nuc from a local guy.  The nuc is doing great so far, and the package is due in a few weeks.  I'm looking forward to some hearty mutt bees in the future!

Got my first swarm call...wish it were a branch, but no, it is in a tree hollow about 7' up, and they want to protect the tree as much as possible.  I have lemongrass oil, but not sure if I want to do a trap-out or vac-out or what.  Going to see the sweet ladies in the morning.  Any opinions?  Hubby is willing to home-brew a vac after the success we had with our home-brew extractor!  Fortunately, it has also whet his appetite for building our own boxes!  yay! 

Grateful for the forum!  I know I'll learn much and hope I can help others in the future!  Thanks in advance to all who are helpful!

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: New-bee
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:26:51 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:41:57 am »

Hi Beesong

Welcome to the forum.  There is a lot of info here, and the people will help with any questions.  Good luck with your new bees

Joe

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:41:30 pm »
Welcome to the site! Larry

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:50:26 am »
Welcome the the forum. What town are you from?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:44:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum  X:X :cheer: X:X

Consider adding your town to your location. Also look around for a local club. We can answer many of you questions but locals will be able to help with local problems.   I see you will not make the same mistake again, I wish I could say that, I repeat mistakes so it is more embedded in my mind.  :lau: :lau: :lau:

Many problems encountered this year are new to all of us due to a weather pattern we have not seen before.  Just hang in there.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

anything