Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Today's cutout  (Read 1917 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Today's cutout
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:31 pm »
Did a cutout today behind the first floor bandboard of a house. The bandboard was nailed from the top, nailed into toeboards attached to the parallel floor joist, AND GLUED along its entire length to the sill plate! They must have just swarmed because there were a lot of drones and lots of opened queen cells. I found one large one with a bee still inside with a tiny hole that seemed to small to get through. I assumed it was a new queen so I caged her. Because of the construction glue on the bandboard, it took five and a half hours to remove it and get all the comb out and most of the bees vacuumed. It was about 6 feet by 8 inches by 8 inches. Got about 30 pounds of capped honey, about 20 of uncapped honey, and four frames of brood. Need to go back in the morning to finish cleaning it out and closing it up. (and bring home the bees).

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Today's cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »
 X:X X:X

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Today's cutout
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:06:35 pm »
Pictures!!!  Cut outs are always cool to look at, and from what you're describing there are some teachable things you found.  Sounds like it went like... well, a cut out.  That's the funny thing about cut outs they always seem to have Murphy sitting in the back ground waiting to throw a wrench into things.  Please keep him occupied there, as it looks like I've got a cut out this weekend myself.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

anything