Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Locations of hives on property  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Curtammy

• New Bee
Locations of hives on property
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:32:32 am »
Not real sure here.  I have always just put hives wherever I want them.  I have them around the field and yard.  Especially one near the wifes flower garden.  The garden is about 200' round with flowers all around the perimeter.  The question is, should hives be put in 1 spot?  like all of them in a 'yard?  with a fence?  If so,  how far apart do i put them?  And, should they be out of sight at the back of the property? or does it matter at all?  Does having them scattered around make a difference?

Thanks
Curt and Ammy Gorsuch

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: Locations of hives on property
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:44 am »
seperating them does help from robbing.  Keep there flight path away from nieghbors and give them as much sun as you can.  But whatever you do keep them away from your vehicals. 
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Dallas Don

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:23:53 am »
I like to locate hives, so that they catch the first morning sun. Faceing east

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:10:50 pm »
I'm not sure separating hives necessarily cuts down on robbing.  Beeks all over the world keep hives in close proximinity.  There are advantages to keeping the hives close together. One is if a hive is weaker and failing, an easy way to bolster the numbers is to trade places with a strong hive next to it.  The returning field bees from the strong hive won't know the difference and move in to the other hive.  My biggest reason to keep hives next to each other is it is easier to remove supers, etc. and set them on top of another hive than to bend down to put them on the ground.  It's easier on the back and cuts down on bees crawiling up your pant legs!  You can put them as close together as you like. I wouldn't recommend it, but I know of one beek with space issues that does his hives as "double-deckers".  In nature bees will often set up in close proximity of other hives.  I did a cut out once where the lady called me back and said the bees were back.  I told  her, "no way" as I could see the bees from my window.  I went back to find another hive in the same wall not 2' away from the other hive.  Placing them facing a fence or hedge row will take their flight path up away from people if that is an issue.  The only time I can think of that requires a wide separation is when doing a split or hiving a swarm from your own hive.  I like to keep my hives all together in view of my bedroom window.  I find a "bee yard" aesthetically pleasing and having them in sight I can spot potential problems early.  Finally, keeping them out of the shade cuts down on SHB's. 
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline Curtammy

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:37:24 am »
Thanks for your input Kedgel.  Much appreciated.  The way we have our hives is basically how we like to look at them.  My wife and I have them set around the yard and in the flower garden just for the reason we like to be able to mingle with them no matter where we are.  Its relaxing to sit on the bench in a garden and watch them buzzing about our plants and such.   Just wasn't sure if that was ok or not.
Curt and Ammy Gorsuch