Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SBB and what they say....  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
SBB and what they say....
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:26:29 pm »
As a feller new to beekeeping I have found the screened bottom boards to be a very useful inspection tool for several reasons... First I will say I am in Arizona in the central Sonoran Desert and do not use the SBB for ventilation purposes keeping it closed all the time and though our daytime temps reach 117 commonly in June and early July before the dew point rises during Monsoon season I see no "hot bee" issues as yet. Though I did take care in hive placement with advise from a long time AZ beekeeper to use Mesquite trees for dappled afternoon sun which help allot here as direct sun can be brutal.

So where am I going with this? Well I have learned to "read" the material that falls from the colony as they go about their day to day business and can see evidence of trouble from parasites and pests as well as bits of capping wax, comb building white wax bits, and other debris including feces from wax worms etc., on the bottom slide out tray. Also I have learned the wax worms being hassled by the bees will try to develop in the space under the screen which aid me in helping the bees manage them since I destroy them when checking the tray a couple times a week.

Also if I do this check early in the morning as the sun is rising I can look from below into the bottom brood chamber for a sneak peek and observe what the bees are up to without bothering them in any way since the light is bright through the entrance opening. My hive stands are 14 inches tall and either by bending down or using a mirror (new trick) I can watch activity and see if all looks normal as well as see halfway up frames to look for brood and comb building among other things.

Just sharing this with the rest of you new folks here and it sure beats looking into the hive and disturbing the bees as new beekeepers often do not being able to stand not knowing in those first weeks and months. Yes I of course still do my inspections for a good look, but only 2 times a month now. I just find this devise a cool tool and yes it does offer venting options as well though I am not convinced that option is useful as yet and have read often of bees jumping ship for that reason.....

Anyway just a new beekeeper observation  :rolleyes:
Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: SBB and what they say....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 08:50:33 am »
I like the observation benefit of a SBB also.  I live in an area where hive beetles are usually not a problem.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:08:20 am »
Nugget
You might also like having screen top boards on your hives. It is just 2" deep super with a metal screen stapled to it and a 1/2" spacer nailed over the screen. I added closable front entrances to mine and I cut out metallic covered insulation boards that I can remove during inspections. You can look in the top of the hive without bothering the bees. With SBB and STBs you get a a lot of information about the hive without disturbing them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:19:47 am »
Thanks for the info Jim, I may add that feature because I like not having to disturb the colony except during my scheduled inspections. SHB apparently are not as big an issue as other places due to our very high temps and low humidity from what I have been told, but we do have our own issues with no actual freezing temps all year.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 02:22:53 pm »
Wondering whether an open bottom let in more  light and/or air than the bees like, I made up some plastic bottoms with vent holes. You can see I put larger holes along the sides and smaller in the middle to keep it darker and less drafty beneath the brood.Used them late last year and have not put in yet as the weather has been mild here, but will try again this year ans see if I notice any effect. Used campaign signs work perfectly!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 02:43:40 pm »
TJC,
I would not worry about the light coming in the bottom. Down here, quite often our bees will build open air hives. I have removed 4 of them and they do very well with full sun all the way around the hive. The last one was 3' long and a foot wide by 2' high.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:38:04 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 04:24:45 pm »
Hi Jim,

I hadn't thought about that - but then we sure don't have any open-air hives up her that I've heard of! And I guess that covers 'too much ventilation' while we're at it! I've never had your problem of SHB or moths in those empty lower boxes - they are usually full of bees seemingly just hanging out, though they will store some pollen in a few frames.

Ted
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:38:39 pm by tjc1 »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 05:41:38 pm »
My father in law has kept bees for several decades in PA. Every spring he reverses the brood boxes because during the winter they move up. Maybe that is all you need to do.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 08:56:45 pm »
I thought that they moved up during the winter, and down in the spring/summer? Or at least they are 'supposed to"!

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 09:02:25 pm »
We sure have some open hives here in the desert or at least sheltered and visible... I spend allot of time in the desert hunting for and finding gold nuggets and often while walking in washes I come across huge hanging combs in caves and crevasses... Some 3 feet hanging down and really impressive, part of what got me interested and prompted me to learn more about these fascinating bugs.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 11:34:16 pm »
What about critters that like to eat honey? Deesn't that make the bees  very vulnerable?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 08:44:31 am »
That is why they have a stinger.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 05:39:54 pm »
Touche! We need some kind of stinger emoticon...

anything