Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sugar shake package  (Read 1823 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
sugar shake package
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:11:02 pm »
I was just thinking of something.  How effective would it be to sugar shake a package.  Since there are obviously varroa in the packages; since all bees seem to have at least a few.  From what i've been reading it's verry effective at dislodging varroa from the bees themsleves, but once they're on comb and have brood most are in cells and not released.  Kind of like a powdered sugar roll where you put bees into a screened jar and shake the varroa out to get a count.  Obviously you'll have to let them caalm down before you hive them.

Offline Erik T

• New Bee
Re: sugar shake package
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 04:39:41 pm »
I belive this was discussed before and the conscientious was it was easier to treat them before hiving them.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »
I wonder about this. My two packages this year came with a certificate saying they were varroa free. Of course, that's to their best ability to detect, but still, if you're buying a package, it shouldn't come to you infested to the point of needing immediate treatment. If that is the case, I'd say, find a different supplier.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 09:21:52 pm »
weather you sugar shake or not they were treated to get inspection and sugar shaking will not keep them from getting mites, they can get them from robbing out a feral hive near you, I have never sugar shake so maybe someone that has can help you better.   
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything