Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: thinking about moving hives...uncertain???  (Read 2470 times)

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
thinking about moving hives...uncertain???
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:46:29 pm »

Hello Eveyone,

I started 2 hives this year, and they did very well.
After carefully considering where to place them I choose a spot just into the woods near my pole barn.
We have about 4 acres with alot of 80ft oak trees, the back of the property open's up to a field.
In the field there is a pretty strong prevailing wind from the north north east.
I opted for the trees looking for dappled sunlight and wind protection.

What I have is a pretty good spot but I don't think there is enough sunlight.
They don't start getting sun till 10:00am (the entrance faces southeast)
I try to do my inspections around 1:30pm so I will have some sun some to see eggs but its rarely enough.

Planning to add two hives this spring and I'm going to put them in the field and just build a windbreak.
My question is should I move these this winter or would it be smarter to leave them for another season, and make a comparison 1st.

This is a pic of where they are:

There is more sun (as in the pic) after 5pm and the bees do work late.
Is this an "if it ain't broke don't fix it scenario"  :?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: thinking about moving hives...uncertain???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:16 pm »
No comparision is needed. It's been looked at and studied all before. Full sun hives outproduce shade hives in all aspects of production, disease resistance, and performance.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Doby45

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:06:27 pm »
I see that you are using 3 mediums for your brood area.  How soon after the hive got established did you have to add the 3rd box to the brrod area?  I am also going to be doing all mediums and was just curious.  My thought was the 70% rule but stop at 3 boxes.

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:10:42 pm »
No comparision is needed. It's been looked at and studied all before. Full sun hives outproduce shade hives in all aspects of production, disease resistance, and performance.
Great answer no gray area...I like that.
Moving in winter is the best time?? any do's or don'ts

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:16:12 pm »
I see that you are using 3 mediums for your brood area.  How soon after the hive got established did you have to add the 3rd box to the brrod area?  I am also going to be doing all mediums and was just curious.  My thought was the 70% rule but stop at 3 boxes.
I used the 7/10 rule when then they had 7 to 10 frames drawn I added a super, after 3 added the excluder
When they filled one super w/honey I removed the excluder.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 10:17:06 pm »
Great answer no gray area...I like that.
Moving in winter is the best time?? any do's or don'ts

Anytime you know they are going to be cooped up for a week or two due to the cold, I'd just move them. Screen the entrance just in case any bees want to come out, since they will go back to the original location. After a day to calm down, remove the screen.  

I would try to move them in 40-45 degree weather as they will not want to fly, yet it will not be so damaging in case the cluster gets disturbed.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 10:34:08 pm »
Anytime you know they are going to be cooped up for a week or two due to the cold, I'd just move them. Screen the entrance just in case any bees want to come out, since they will go back to the original location. After a day to calm down, remove the screen.  
I would try to move them in 40-45 degree weather as they will not want to fly, yet it will not be so damaging in case the cluster gets disturbed.

Thanks BjornBee,
I will do as you, I really did want to have them all in one area.
appreciate your advice
Paul