Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Northern CA.  (Read 1393 times)

Offline trili

• Brood
Greetings from Northern CA.
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:53:27 pm »
Hello, I am new to this hobby(for me), and looking to just do a little more for the environment and the plight of bees. I have 1 langstroth hive, occupied with a recently purchased package of Carniolan bees, and one TBH that I am hoping will attract a swarm (not holding my breath). I am located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, east of Sacramento, with meadow, and mixed oak, pine, cedar forest
My first question is in regards to the worker's job division.
I am spending some time each day watching the bees go in and out of the hive.  I notice that many bees come back loaded with pollen, and many come back bare legged. I am wondering what the bare legs are doing. is there a division of duties such that nectar gatherers do not bring pollen and pollen gatherers do not bring back nectar? I also notice that the bees coming in frequently crash land, fall over or tumble out of the air onto their backs and have to roll over before waking in (usually the bare legs). I am assuming that they are full of liquid and it makes them clumsy. They look healthy (but tipsy) to me.
I appreciate the online community and the resources and wisdom that it offers. :rainbowflower:

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Greetings from Northern CA.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:38:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined in on the fun.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 11:05:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Trili.

Joe

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:26:49 am »
Some of the bees may be bringing back nectar only, may be scouting or even simply out for an evacuation run. Drones come and go from many hives. Housekeeping involves carrying debris away from the hive so you may see some returns from that as well.
Welcome to Beemaster  forum. :)

anything