Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: treating nosema spores in frames  (Read 4142 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
treating nosema spores in frames
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:56 pm »
after reading a couple of recent threads about nosema spores in frames I'm thinking it might be a good idea to either phase out comb from infested hives or treat the comb. according to what I've read on the scientic beekeeping site the heat required to kill spores is borderline being hot enough to melt the wax & sounds risky. acetic acid sounds like a possible health hazard. it is also expensive & has a short shelf life. rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, & bleach are considered effective treatments. also acetic acid is in vinegar. I'm wondering whether making a mixture of some or all of the above mentioned treatments above sprayed directly into the comb followed by freezing would be effective in killing nosema c. spores in comb. this would probably need to be done when it is warm enough to air dry the frames so that they do not mold.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Re: treating nosema spores in frames
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:13 pm »
Always be EXTREMELY careful when mixing powerful chemicals together - it can create unintended gasses or by-products that can be dangerous! I'm going to try the glacial acetic acid; I'm used to handling it from black and white darkroom days, and it doesn't seem too expensive, especially if it saves all that comb, and the work of replacing it.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:26:47 am »
maybe I need to look at some different sources. I found some for $160.00 per gallon & the sites say to use 1/2 cup per box. at that rate it would be pricey. the other treatments, say alcohol or peroxide don't I think have the same fume capabilities so I'm wondering whether they would be sprayed directly into the combs.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-nosema-twins-part-5-alternative-treatments/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:55 am »
>...killing nosema c. spores in comb...
What makes you think you HAVE Nosema ceranae spores in the comb?  Nosema ceranae doesn't cause dysentery.  Nosema ceranae is a summer disease, not a winter disease.  Nosema ceranae has almost totally displaced Nosema apis.  What is it you are cleaning up?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:46 pm »
Michael
 the USDA analysis of one of my dead-outs said the bees had 4 million Nosema Ceranae spores per bee. the best info I found says over 1 million is the point where one should be concerned. according to several things I've read the spores remain in the comb & can infect new bees when reused. I'm trying to save the comb from the dead-out. the hive adjacent to this one had a zero Nosema count. on the scientific beekeeping site they list several ways to treat the comb.

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:17:53 pm »
Is it really worth saving?  (Asking because I don't know.)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:11 am »
> the USDA analysis of one of my dead-outs said the bees had 4 million Nosema Ceranae spores per bee.

Ok.  Then you have a reason to believe they have Nosema ceranae.  Unlike Nosema apis spores, cold kills Nosema ceranae spores.

http://aem.asm.org/content/76/9/3032.short
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:00:51 am »
Michael,

In your book you mention that   

"Many of the honeybee's enemies, such as Nosema, Chalkbood, EFB and Varoa all thrive and reproduce better at the pH of sugar syrup and don't reproduce better at the pH of honey."

To your knowledge, is there a distinction here between Nosema A and C? ( with regard to the pH of a feed?)

The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 11:47:31 am »
I think both reproduce better at a pH of 6 or 7 or so.

http://www.ibra.org.uk/articles/The-COLOSS-BEEBOOK-nosema
(click on "Open Access" to see the study)

This says a pH of 7.2 (see 2.2.6.1 item 5) and two methods listed on pg 18 table 2 show a pH of 6.7 and another method using a pH of 7.2.

And they seem to be using the same method for both Nosema c. and Nosema a.

-------------------

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:36 pm »
Thank you!

Adjusting the pH of my syrup is something I never thought about until reading your book.

One simple step that helps combat several potential problems.  'Never to old to learn something new & pertinent.  :cool:
The bees usually fix my mistakes