Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: guinea fowl - HELP!!  (Read 8495 times)

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
guinea fowl - HELP!!
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:35:57 pm »
I have been nattering on and on about buying an acreage for a summer
retreat and love different types of birds (eating varieties    lol)

Well I just have had the deal of a lifetime dropped into my lap. A
buddy has a work contract away from home and said he would be grateful
if I moved in for the summer to look after things. What luck eh??
Being able to actually try out the country living w/o investing $$

I have also been fascinated w/guinea fowl and would like to try some
this summer but I have had not too much luck finding anyone who sells
stock.

Could anyone help me out finding a contact??

I am in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada

I would sure appreciate it

thnx

cheers

peter

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: guinea fowl - HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:34 am »
You might try Murray McMurray

www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

I had Guinea Fowl..they are comical, a bit noisey, but fun.  We started with a trio, then females gave us 15 keets.  They had the run of the property.  Our bedroom window is 3 stories high on one side, with a deck.  The Guineas would fly up to our deck every early morning and peck at their reflections in the window during sunrise...No alarm needed!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:17 am »
Sharon, ooh ya, when I was at the farm picking up my turkey hens yesterday, I couldn't believe the sound of the flock of guinnea fowl!!!   Holy smokers, what a racket.  I don't want any of them, they were too noisy for me and our place is a very echoy place, no clue why, think it is the ravine that borders our property, probably rebounds sound.  They made such a racket.  The dude told me that he never has a problem with coyotes because they are so loud they scare everything away, but they are very very very very cool birds.  I really liked them, I wonder if they could be de-sqawked, like dogs, hee, hee.  Only kidding.
Peter, too bad you didn't live in the Lower Mainland around me, there would be tons for sale.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, loving this fabulous life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:24:28 am »
Cindi & Peter,

They are known to be called "watchdogs of the farm"...they call the alarm if any intruder/stranger comes around.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:25:34 am »
Sharon, yep geese are the same, as are the turkeys, watchdogs, got nothin' better to do, hee, hee, smiling.  Have the best of this wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 12:06:59 pm »
Also been reading that guinea's keep the garden, flower beds bug free and as they don't scratch like chickens so you'd never know they were there save for the no bugs part.

Also will rid yard of ticks which we are just a tad N. of their zone tho they are in abundance by the river.

Hope I can find some guinea's, seems when I was a kid ('last of' generation) there were a few hatcheries in every big town city but like a lot of things is history now w/factory farming. Still get some of the factory line chickens but not so much anything else. Or not readily sourced in phone book or on-line. Tho I notice farmers who I think would really benefit from the internet esp. if they do any farm gate sales are the last to pick up the habit.

I'm kinda getting excited ..... excellent happens less and less it seems as time marches on.

cheers

peter

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:13:58 pm »
Oh yea,

Tried the www.mcmurrayhatchery.com but they are in US and need expensive paperwork and inspection etc. Too bad, exactly what I need but in Canada.

Hey Cindi, do you know of any of the places you/ve seen them at might air-freight a few keats (not keets) out this way??

cheers

peter

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
oops keats, my bad

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:52:13 pm »
Peter,

There is a breeder list here -> http://www.guineafowl.com/GeneralStore/breeders.html#

but unfortunately there are no Canadian breeders listed.

Here is a guinea message board with backyard guinea enthusiast (much like this forum with bees).  You might want to ask there and maybe someone in Canada can hook you up.
http://www.guineafowl.com/board/index.php

FYI..... we really enjoy are guineas they are not as tame as chickens, but provide plenty of entertainment and their eggs are good too and healthier :-D

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:58:13 pm »
oops :-\

I just saw you already posted a request on the message board :-\
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »
I love our guinneas, it's fun to watch em chase the squirrels away from the birdfeed on the ground.  They look like the skexis from Dark Crystal only shorter!  They go through the horse poo to get the flys eggs & larva..eat all sorts of bugs & I'm hoping they will clean up the dead bees around the hives!  They are noisy tho..but great watchdogs since my dog is old & deaf now!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 01:57:48 pm »
"They are noisy tho..but great watchdogs"

OMG noisy isn't the word for it!!!!!!!!!   Last summer I had 6 and at sunrise they would wake up neighboring town.   Boy they tasted good.  No Kidding!!  They are all dark meat and dont taste like chicken

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 02:40:09 pm »
you ate guineas? :'(

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 06:49:45 pm »
EEEWWWwww ACK! :-\  They would have to be tough with all that running...
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01:59 pm »
I had guineas once! stated with about 10 then they dwindled down to nothing..When we first got them I remember hearing then making noise after dark and we'd go out in the woods to find them to bring them back home..(before the coyotes got them)
They dwindled down because the collies actually got them!
 They ARE noisy!
We would sit out on the deck with people over.....The the guineas would hear us and come over to the deck, go underneath, and EVERYTIME someone would speak they would start YACKINg all at the same time...If you stopped taliking they stopped..If you started again they would start!! We would all be shouting and laffing at the same time trying to carry on our conversations!
your friend,
john

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 09:09:32 pm »
I am surprised that they could be caught, they fly amazingly good for such a big bird...

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 10:43:43 pm »
I have a Guinea..it is a sick love affair we have. Some years ago, I was givin 2 keets from a friend. A cat ate one and I figured the other would soon follow. Instead...old girl lived and bonded (!) with ME! She follows me around the yard, along with my 3 terriers and cat. She sits on my car and waits for me..and poops. She sits all night outside my glass doors in my bedroom and watches me sleep....and poops. I have deck that runs around a good part of my house. She follows me..room to room..giving me her loving sounds...and poops.  She waits outside the kitchen door each morning for her share of dog food... and poops.
Whats all this about wild and hard to catch? If I stand still, she jumps onto my head...and poops. Ugh...I love her but, well...I wish she were wild and ran around eating ticks.

That would be the Guinea in question...eating Koi food I tossed into the pond.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 10:49:40 pm »
Peter, first things first.  There is a Canadian site for chicken people, I came across it while searching the internet Canada for chickeny stuff.  I forgot to tell you about it.  You can look at the want ads, place ads, etc., but you will need to be a member.  The site is a little clumbsy to navigate (not like this one that is so user friendly, hee, hee).  Look at the ads there, place a want ad, you may be surprised what comes up.  I don't think it would be worth your while to pay air freight from some place far away in Canada.

http://groups.msn.com/CANADIANCHICKENEGGSWAPPERS2/home.msnw?&pps=k

Check it out.

SirStungAlot.  That is a great picture of your bird, very beautiful and pretty.

Yep, after hearing that flock at the place I got the turkey hens from yesterday, there was about 20 of them, no way on this green earth would I have something so noisy.  When we were talking we could hardly hear each other, and yes, they were very friendly and like to hang out, that was why we had such a hard time with hearing.  Not for this gal, but some might like it for sure.  Kathy very obviously did not like the noises, hee, hee  :-X  Have a wonderful, greatest of days, lovin' life.  Cindi

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:16:15 am »
Sir Stung,

That is a precious story!  What a lucky fellow you are, and the koi pond looks lovely...your little guinea chick is lovely!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 12:52:41 am »
When it comes to feathered watch dogs I would much rather have geese than giuneas any day.  The geese are less noisy and will also attack an intruder.  Head out, wings down and flarred.  Guineas too often sound like rusty gate hinges or Donkeys.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything