Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best practice regarding merging frames of bees  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Caleb012

• New Bee
Best practice regarding merging frames of bees
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:43:03 pm »
What is the best way to combine smaller numbers of frames into a 10 frame box? I realize that the newspaper combine is suggested for merging 2 colonies. What if one only wishes to combine 2...3...perhaps 4 frames of bees to a stronger colony? What is the best way to prevent conflict? Thank you very much.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Best practice regarding merging frames of bees
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:25:51 pm »
I'm sure you'll hear different opinions, but what I do is smoke the snot outta them and transfer the frames. Don't have time for anything else.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:04 pm »
A piece of newspaper will go between frames too.  Try to off the queen of the weak colony you are combining.  Put  five drops of vanilla extract and a couple big spoons of sugar in a cup of water and put it in an empty windex sprayer and make them all smell alike and the newspaper isn't really neccessary.  

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:13:22 am »
More good information from both of you guys. Thanks
Later,
Ray

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:06:32 am »
Spray hive and frame with vanilla add to your Surup
David
My-smokepole

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
Two weak hives are usually happy to see some help, but some confusion is helpful.  A lot of smoke makes confusion...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything