Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen trap..P.O.S  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
Pollen trap..P.O.S
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:04:50 am »
Ok so I get this pollen trap (top mounted) from Betterbees, close off all entrances at the hive, make a new one on the top, the bees didn't like that too much, but a couple of weeks go by and they sort of get used to the top entrance, so I put the top pollen trap on the hive.
first day, one miserable little pollen grain in the drawer!
second day...nothing at all.
I am confused, did I really mess this thing up?
It is facing the right way, the "this end up" sticker is also facing the right way...
What a waste of time and money this thing is.
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: Pollen trap..P.O.S
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 10:21:49 am »
dont give up yet go watch the hive for awhile they may have found another way into the hive to avoid the trap you say you got a top trap if its like the bottom traps there is a may to shut them down so the bees can get in without going across the trap. they are usually located at the entrance, the sundance bottom trap the door at the entrance slides up to collect pollen and down to open a entrance they can go thru to avoid the trap.
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:32 am »
This trap doesn't have anything like a diverter or alternate entrance.
I took the cover off last night, it looked like one of the bees was having a hard time getting through the screen. so I took the trap off,.
The space between the screens is only a quarter inch, So I took the screen and added some small pieces of wood in between, Put the thing back on the hive. We'll see if it makes a difference...

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 10:49:00 am »
is the trap a sundance top trap it still sounds like you may not have it set up right do you have some pics you can post
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:55 pm »
i dont understand why you cant use a hive top pollen trap with a queen extruder? can some on enlighten me on this?

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:20:41 pm »
because if you use a Q.Excluder, the drones can't get in or out.

But in any case... I have totally given up on the top mounted pollen trap, I think that it is a total waste of time and money.
Today I opened the bottom entrance, they just came pouring out, it was just so beautiful to watch, they started to fill up the bottom landing strip, then they just came coming out, spilling upwards onto the hive body... just like they were free at last! and they were flying in front, not buzzing, but it seemed like they were doing a bunch of orientation flights, some of the ones returning just barging in like they always do, I don't thin k that I could use that thing again.
Maybe if I start a hive with a top entrance...but they'd have to be from the start.

I do want to get a bottom pollen trap though, so if any one knows which one is the best, I'd love to hear about it.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:24:19 pm »
If it is a Sundance top trap, don't bother trying the others. You have the best on the market.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:40:54 pm »
i still think something wasnt set right on the trap what kind is it and are you interested in parting with it im always interested in buying junk

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:04:44 am »
 I have a couple of splits that are going to be ready to move into hive bodies. I'll try it again this time setting them up as top entrance hives.
It is a Sundance, but I don't see how it can be set up wrong, there's a front and a back, also a sticker with the up direction clearly printed.

I'd like to find one pollen trap to put on the bottom, one with a "on/off" position so that it doesn't have to come off all the time.

Offline drstan

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:36:58 am »
I tried a top mount Sundance pollen trap last august and again this spring.  Never got more than a teaspoon of pollen.  Suspected something wrong with it but the directions with it are very poor.  Took it back to Dadant where I bought it and compared to one in stock and it turns out it was missing a wood strip that allowed the bees to bypass the trap.  They checked with Sundance and were told a few were shipped without this strip.  The new one works fine.  I'm away til Saturday but Will try to post a picture of the strip in question.  It is at the front edge of the sandwiched screens at the edge above the bee escapes.

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:37 pm »
Maybe that's my problem.
First time I used it I got one solitary grain of pollen, after a few days I only had about a quarter tea spoon...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 08:21:57 pm »
I looked in BetterBees and could not find a P.O.S. pollen collector.   Maybe I should call?   Hehe.

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »
No don't call, I have one I'll let you have for a good price !

:-D

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 10:39:13 pm »
I looked in BetterBees and could not find a P.O.S. pollen collector.   Maybe I should call?   Hehe.

sorry i cant help it but i have to say it. I called betterbee they said they had 2 models of top mount sundance pollen collecting systems one being the sundance 2 which works very well and the other was the p.o.s. model that allows the bees to keep the pollen they worked for but with a  convertion kit issued seperately you can convert a p.o.s. to a working sundance 2 if you want to convert the sundance 2 to a p.o.s. all you need was a b.f.h. :evil: :-D sorry had to do it. hopefully you will get it straightened out soon

anything