Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beetles and Boric  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Beetles and Boric
« on: June 07, 2005, 11:06:24 pm »
I've been chatting with another local beekeeper about mites -- I think I got some with my packages this year.  At least they were on one of my feeders I removed after I left it sitting in the field for a day and a half (to let the bees return to the hive).

Anyhow, we discussed using boric acid in a corrogated cardboard contraption like those used with coumophos strips.  Any experience or comments on this method?  How would you do it on a screened bottom board?

-- Kris

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Beetles and Boric
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 11:48:10 pm »
You're describing a controll meathod for SHB yet, you keep saying mites so which is it?  

Did they look like weird ladybugs colored black or tiny red/black mites the size of a small pin head?

Anyways for the SHB controll meathod you were talking about before...you get corrogated cardboard and tear one side off so you can see the little slots.   Inside there stick one eighth of a strip of Apistan and place it in one corner of the bottom board.(con be screened or solid)  The idea is that the SHBs look at the cardbord as a place to hide and then are poisoned by the strip and die.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Beetles and Boric
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 08:14:39 am »
Yes, small hive beetles were what I meant in the post.  Sorry about the confusion, was a long, draining day.   :oops:

-- Kris

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Beetles and Boric
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:36:12 am »
I don't have any small hive beetles so I have no experience with those.  However I have used boric acid on cockroaches and on ants and it was very effective on both of them.  I'd be curious to hear what your results are if you try it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Beetles and Boric
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:26:08 pm »
I use an oil tray covered with a screen. Both are plastic from dadant. It seems to keep the SHB in check. The hive with the oil trap has qualitatively fewer beetles than the other hives that have no oil trap. I just started using it about two months ago, they are not gone yet, but I hope to get rid of the beetle completely.

Someone also told me that the telescoping cover is a great place for the beetles to hide, so maybe a plain, flat cover might be better, but down here in rainy, humid Miami we keep with the telescope.

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Beetles and Boric
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 05:27:42 pm »
Seeing as how you're from NJ, the winter will probably kill the beetle.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Beetles and Boric
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 08:10:31 pm »
Quote from: photokid
Seeing as how you're from NJ, the winter will probably kill the beetle.

Wishfull thinking.
http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?p=7520#7520
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison