Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Cleaning Tips  (Read 6919 times)

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« on: December 12, 2004, 10:43:14 pm »
Before the crash, I had posted an article on wax cleaning.  If anyone would like me to repost this, I am happy to do so. Reply in this thread, and I'll re-do the post if there is intrest.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Wax Cleaning Tips
             by Joli Winer

Joli Winer is editor of the Midwestern Beekeepers Association newsletter, this is from the November 1998 issue.

This is the perfect month to start those wax cleaning chores.  How about sweet smelling beeswax candles for holiday gifts. Caution: Beeswax is very flammable. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

-->     Rinse your cappings in warm, not hot, water.  This gets quite a bit of honey out.

-->     Next add your cappings to a large pan, with water.  Your first step is to bring your wax to a low boil in this water bath.

-->     After your cappings have come to a low boil, you can do one of two things.

1.     You can pour the wax and water through a screen to catch any large pieces of gunk.    OR

2.     Let the whole pan of water and wax cool in the pan.  When the wax has solidified you can take it out of the pan and scrape all the debris that was in your wax off the bottom.  The wax will have risen to the top and the gunk will all be on the bottom of your wax cake.

-->     After completing the above steps, you are ready for your final straining.  We like to use sweatshirt material with the fuzzy side up.  Remelt your wax using a double boiler.  This can be as simple as one pan sitting inside of another pan ( the bottom pan will have water in it ). Wax should absolutely never be directly on the burner and should always be in a double boiler.  This helps to keep it from burning down your home.

-->     After your wax is remelted you are ready for the final straining.  In another pan, preferably one with a handle, put your piece of sweatshirt material over the top of the pan.  Hold it in place with a big heavy rubber band.  Then pour your wax into this contraption.  Your wax is now clean enough to make into candles, ornaments, or beeswax blocks.

-->     Remember to protect the area you are working in from spills.  Trust me, no matter how careful you intend to be, you will spill wax.  It is almost impossible to get out of a carpet.  I suggest that you work in a warm garage or basement and that you purchase a hot plate rather than using your stove.

-->     Never, ever do wax in your oven.  Always remember that the reason beeswax makes such good candles is because it is so flammable.

-->If you are planning on coloring your wax, it is best to use actual candle dyes. Crayon leaves a residue and your candle won't burn as well. Remember you are starting with yellow wax so you have to think carefully about what colors you need.  We have had a hard time getting a pretty blue, because it always comes out greenish looking.

Beeswax candles make lovely gifts for the holidays.  They are fun to make and your home smells great while the beeswax is warming.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 10:55:40 pm »
I'm sure interested.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 11:11:05 pm »
Do it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Sting

• House Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 12:54:12 pm »
Yes please.
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 11:02:04 pm »
Rather than putting the post at the bottom of this thread, I just edited the origional post.  So if you're looking down here for the actual tips, look back up top again! :D
-Emerson

Offline Barny

• House Bee
Nice
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 12:29:51 am »
Thank you for reposting...

Offline Stinger

• New Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 01:14:04 pm »
I melted my wax last weekend. I used a large and small-galvanized bucket and my cooking tripod.  I placed some water in the largest galvanized bucket, then the smaller bucket inside it.  I hung the large bucket from a tripod over and open fire.  As the water began to boil I put wax into the smaller bucket and it melted down nicely.  The day was windy and cold so it took awhile to get everything hot but it did work well.  I was not sure of how to do this and was just experimenting.  I had dark wax from old frames and new cappings together.  When the wax cooled all of the junk had gone to the bottom and was pleasantly suprised that the solidified wax was not dark like the old wax I had removed from damaged frames.

Offline beefree

• House Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 11:43:11 am »
i tried something a little less complicated this year, since it was my first time.  I threw all the cappings in a bucket with some hot water, swished it around, dumped it in a strainer.  did this about three times, which got the honey out well.  then i threw the cappings and some old brood comb, and some cracked foundation into an old metal pitcher.  Stuck the pitcher in a soup pot of water (cheap double boiler) .  threw it all on the stove on high heat (boiled the water off, had to add to it several times).  melted the wax, poured it through cheesecloth into an old milk carton (this cleaned up last of debris in wax that wasn't stuck to bottom of pitcher).  let it cool.  ripped off the carton when wax was solid.  ended up with a lovely solid yellow block of wax.  i poured some wax into an old candle mold, too, just to see what i'd get...smells wonderful, even when not burning.  lovely, happy, honey-filled hive scent... now i want to try making some hand salve with it, because winter just takes it out of my skin something awful.  anyone have any good recipes?
beefree
Those who are merciful to the cruel become callous to the meek.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 01:48:56 am »
I have some bees wax hand stuff (it looks like a bar of soap). It's made mostly out of bees wax and petroleum jelly. I love the stuff. It was store bought though, so I don't know the recipe. Just experiment a little, or do a search on the internet for some recipes.

Beth

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 12:44:05 am »
Beeswax Hand Cream

1 part beeswax by dry weight

6 parts olive oil by liquid volume

A few drops of essential oil (such as lavender, chamomile, rose or lemon verbena). You may add any essential oil or leave it out entirely to enjoy the natural sweet scent of the beeswax.

1. In the top of a double boiler, melt the beeswax and oil over medium heat. Stir continuously with a wire whisk untill the wax has completely melted.

2. Remove from heat and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Continue stirring as the mixture cools and thickens.

3. Before it completely cools and "sets," pour the warm mixture into small containers.

4. Let the cream cool completely before placing the lids on the jars.

Good Luck and have fun!! Bee careful of the beeswax, remember it's very flammable!! :D
-Emerson

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 08:06:08 am »
I've been experimenting with hand cream and lip balm. 6 to 1 ratio oil to beeswax for cream, and 4 to 1 for lip balm. Besides olive oil, I've used almond, seasame, and coconut.
Lesli

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Wax Cleaning Tips
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 08:50:24 pm »
Thanks.

Glad I found this re-post.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Jay