Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are my bees doing?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
Re: What are my bees doing?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 01:11:51 am »
You should be in a flow right now, white sweet clover is going nuts down here.

Offline yjk

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 05:14:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to assume that all is well and that I need to ventilate the hive a little. I'll start a new thread to ask how to split a hive and I think i could actually harvest the top 2 supers.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 02:45:29 am »
How do you know if the hive it to full. I thought that with 4 hive bodies that they would have plenty of room. Can a queen keep up with that many frames.

I'll open the hive tonight and see if I have any room in the hive. Would adding another honey super on top help?

The number of hive bodies as nothing to do with bearding bees.  Bearding bees are the result of 1. overcrowding within the hive, 2. increasing the space between bees in a effort to reduce temperatures during warmer weather (most likely here), 3. Or bees working a moving air in and around within the hive. 

You can have an empty super on a hive and they will still beard in the case of #2 & 3.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline yjk

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 08:53:56 pm »
I think the hive is to full, I opened the top and put spacer under it to let it ventilate. I hope it helps them.