Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Verizon DSL question  (Read 4477 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Verizon DSL question
« on: January 20, 2008, 07:24:09 pm »
I just got a verizon wireless highspeed connection.
 I have something called a USB modem...looks something like one of those deals you stick in the usb port that holds a lot of information.
 My connection works by connecting to a cell phone sattelite. It seems to work pretty good to me as far as I can tell..Anything is better than 26.4 connection speed.
Anyways, I have 2 computers but only one of these modem cards. I mentioned to the salesman about if I could run two computers with one card(at the same time). He said i'd need to get another card and there would be an extra monthly fee.
 Is there a way I can run 2 comps. at the same time with one card? I didnt call back the verizon people for this question as their goal is to make money from clients and might not tell me the truth.

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Verizon DSL question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 08:06:05 pm »
i have verizon DSL and run my other computers off a wireless router.  once the router is up, you can run all your other wireless enabled computers from it. what i would advise, remembering that these people also want to make money, is that you go talk to several geeks at different computer stores.  find out what they recommend and get prices.  the info you need to take:  1.  what is your operating system  2:  is your computer wireless enabled.  3.  the DSL router brand.  different brands allow for different hook up for wireless router.

it's pretty simple to install.  comes with step by step instructions. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:45:37 pm »
Thanks Kathy!
 It looks like you came through for me again!
your friend,
john

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:47 pm »
sounds like you don't really have dsl like I do. mine comes in on land line telephone and then through a modem and can be distributed as I want from there. I get my TV this way too. Yours sounds like a wireless card that you could use anywhere you can get cell phone signal on whatever computer the card is inserted in.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:15:16 pm »
Yes, Randy, thats right..I can take it with me anywhere.A disk has to be loaded before it'll work tho.
I call it DSL because the verizon salesman called it DSL.
Is this the same as yours Kathy?
 I cant get anything thru my fone line other than dial-up because I live too far out of the city. I had Clearwire for awhile and the router was a problem. Then there were new houses built about a half mile away and my Clearwire was no good anymore.Besides, I had 36 service calls in a one year period.
your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:14:50 pm »
i think what you have is called wireless broadband.  in that case, i'm not sure if you can run a router and run your other computers.  tomorrow i'll check some geek sites and maybe call one of my geek brothers  :-).  they owe the big sis!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 01:24:30 am »
 Thanks Kathy!

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 01:52:09 pm »
ok, i did a little investigation and didn't get any really good answers.  since verizon gave you an adapter rather than a router, you probably will have to get another one to run other computers.  verizon has a nasty habit of making their stuff proprietary.

i would call verizon and ask them if there is a way to run a wireless router in your home so that you can use your other computers.  i'd also check with a couple of computer places and see if anyone has any ideas. 

at the moment, the consensus of the people i talked to, is that you'll probably have to live with the verizon restrictions for awhile because this is not yet in wide spread use.

maybe someone here will have a fix for you??

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:33:13 pm »
  Thanks Kathy for checking around.
 It IS VERY new here. Yeh, Maybe someone here might know something more.

your friend,
john

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:20:39 am »
Are you able to connect your computers to each other.
If you are, then you can use "internet sharing".
I did this when I was reinstalling Windows on my grandparent's computer.  They had dial-up and I wanted to use the updates faster.  So I wirelessly connected my laptop to high speed, then connected their computer to my laptop.  After that they were using high speed internet, until I unplugged them  :)

Anyway, if you have a way to connect the two computers to each other (whether wirelessly or wired) then you can try internet sharing.
calebgo.com - My website

anything