Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New strain of bees needed  (Read 3182 times)

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
New strain of bees needed
« on: October 22, 2004, 10:27:31 pm »
Someone once told me that each lb of honey is lifted on average 15 times before it gets to the consumers hands.    After bottling up a few hundred jars and bears this month,  I've got to agree, it's  atleast 15 times.

What we need is a new strain of bees -  bees that can extract the honey
and bottle it.  :wink:    My back is killing me.    

I guess it could be worse, they could be like cows and have the honey milked from them.
 :wink:
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 09:28:02 am »
:roll: If they were like cows I wouldn't bee keeping them thats a fact. I grew up on a dairy farm and for the most part look back on it as enjoyable but the milking of cows. I told my daddy once only crazy people get up at 4:00AM to go to work.

:D Al

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 11:41:11 am »
You're on the right track with your thinking leominsterbeeman. At a minimum we we need to find a strain of bees where the drones do at little more of the work. Maybe we could find a way to train the drones to fill the jars. That would cut down on some of the work for us. And get them all little computers so while they're sitting around on their butts all day they could be working on some marketing stratagies for selling the honey.
:)

Beth

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: New strain of bees needed
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 04:30:24 pm »
Quote from: leominsterbeeman
Someone once told me that each lb of honey is lifted on average 15 times before it gets to the consumers hands.    After bottling up a few hundred jars and bears this month,  I've got to agree, it's  atleast 15 times.

What we need is a new strain of bees -  bees that can extract the honey
and bottle it.  :wink:    My back is killing me.    

I guess it could be worse, they could be like cows and have the honey milked from them.
 :wink:

Yeah! Good talk! I have planned if I could teach bees how to pick bluberries from forest. Blueberrys weight  is 0,5 g. When I have  10 hives, and in each hive 35 000 field bees, they could carry every hour one berry during 10 hours. - No legal tee cup break, because bees do not use tee or coffee

0,5 g x 10 berries x 35 000  bees x 10 hives = 1750 kg = 3500 liter blueberries per day. -  But shal I do with those berries?  

One liter blueberries cost in Finland  3$.  10 500 $ per day?  But where to sell them?

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 04:34:17 pm »
Only put them out long enough to pick 50 or 60 liters.
You could sell that much
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

anything