Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking for your input  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Looking for your input
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:42:32 pm »
Now that the season is starting to wind down and I have a little more time to get back into the online community, I'm looking for some input for podcast topics.

I have just been asked/appointed to coordinate the monthly beekeeping podcasts on Wildlife Pro Network.  For those that have participated, we have had great discussions, topics, and guests from Nancy Gentry talking about the Honey Standard to Dr. Ed Bez and the Archeology of bees and beekeeping.   If you haven't participated in these podcasts, you can still listen to them HERE.

The whole objective, of these podcasts, is to promote beekeeping and share knowledge.  So if your reading this post,  they are for you.  The more folks we can get to participate,  the better it is for everyone.

The beekeeping podcasts are held the 2nd Thursday of the month at 8PM EST.   I'm currently trying to put an agenda together for the next 12 months or so and could use input from the folks here.  

If there is a topic that you would like to see discussed,  please let me know and I'll see what I can do.  We also need folks to help lead discussions, so if you have a passion or expertise in a given area and would like to help out and lead a session please PM me. Likewise, if you know someone that would be a good guest speaker and would be willing, please PM me. I know a lot of folks here don't consider themselves "experts" and may be a little timid about taking on such an endeavor,  but I assure you it will all be good.  I was a little gun shy at first myself,  but you soon realize it is a captive audience of people just like you that want to learn more.  We can even do panel discussions, like we did with the swarm and removal podcast, for those that would feel more comfortable with a group.

The bottom line is that Rob Russell from Wildlife Pro Network has given us an excellent resource with no strings attached to promote beekeeping.  Now it is up to us as beekeepers to make the most of it.

Looking forward to hearing from you folks....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Looking for your input
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:47:18 pm »
My $.02 -- would be great to hear opposing views on different topics from experienced beeks as there really are so many different viewpoints out there with good stuff to learn on both sides. Would help upcoming beeks get a better grasp on the breadth of options/paths and help them come up with their own well-thought-out direction.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:56:26 pm »
John,

I totally agree, and the panel discuss we had on swarms and removals was just that.  We had a handful of folks that do a lot of removals and each had their own methods and views.  As we know,  climate is perhaps the biggest factor in beekeeping, and by getting different views, you can pick and choose which methods will best meet your needs.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »
John,
I totally agree, and the panel discuss we had on swarms and removals was just that.  We had a handful of folks that do a lot of removals and each had their own methods and views.  As we know,  climate is perhaps the biggest factor in beekeeping, and by getting different views, you can pick and choose which methods will best meet your needs.

Very cool, Robo. I'll start listenin. ;)
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:05:05 pm »
how about stress breeding and if that's not a big enough topic by itself perhaps have it included in a more general discussion of breeding.  Not so much the specific technique of queen rearing(which might be a good topic unto itself), but rather more of a discussion of the methodology of evaluation and selection.

Just a thought.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
Couple of topics come to mind.
One: The experienced beekeeps best equipment either bought or built that has simplified their operation or has had the most noticeable effect on the girls.
Two: Methods of building of tools or equipment to aid in being productive to save the beekeeps their precious time.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 07:40:59 pm »
I'm with fermentedhiker. I have my own little system for queen rearing that I adopted from a commercial beek I know but I'd really like to get to understand the out-of-hive process. Incubators, spoon-fed royal jelly and the like. I don't think I'd ever really use the system (maybe?) but the manipulation is fastinating.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »
robo, you should have ramona give a talk on microbes in the hive.

deknow

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:29:48 pm »
That is an excellent idea deknow!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:17:57 pm »
Rob,

The most discussed topic at our monthly bee club meeting is.............Hive Beetles! It may be a regional issue but around here, they are serious business.

I frequent this forum often but I forget about the pod cast. Could we get some type of automatic reminder the day before?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:46:00 pm »
Adam/Scott - Got it and will add it to the list.  I'll see if I can get a couple of the small scale commercial queen breeders to join us for a session,  perhaps over the winter when things are slow for them.

Sparky - Good idea as well, we have quite a few ingenious folks on hear that go against the grain and build their own stuff.

Dean - I would love to have Ramona give a talk on microbes.  I found her presentation fascinating at the conference and I'm sure many others would too,  especially since most folks have never really heard about it.  I guess since you volunteered her she'll have to do it ;)  I'll be getting in contact.

Steve -  Yes, a topic that has just become of interest to me as I just got back from one of my bee yards and found my first ever SHB :(

I will also post reminders and put it in the news area to remind folks...

Keep the ideas coming folks...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:46:36 am »
Adam/Scott,   Check out this month's podcast,  you may find it interesting and I invite you to join with any questions/discussion points you would like to address.

Sparky,  David also manufactures some equipment,  so feel free to bring in questions as well.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,26153.0.html

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 04:30:04 pm »
cool, now I just have to find a way to remember it.  I have a tendency of remembering the podcasts a couple hours after they're over :-D
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 04:47:06 pm »
cool, now I just have to find a way to remember it.  I have a tendency of remembering the podcasts a couple hours after they're over :-D

You can sign up to get an email reminder the day of the podcast here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/beekeeping-podcasts/

Other than that I can only suggest a alarm clock :thunder:

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 06:55:15 pm »
Robo.

I'll be there with bells on! I've had some computer probs the last 6-7 weeks but I'll beg, borrow or steal to make it!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 08:14:56 pm »
Good news is a computer is optional.  All you need is a phone to participate :-D

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »
Is there any way to join in without having to pay the long distance charges?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 10:21:36 pm »
Yes, there is a VoIP option if you have a mic on your computer.  It does require creating an account on talkshoe and downloading an application (both FREE).  I use it,  if you plan to use it, I would suggest getting it set up before hand and crashing another podcast on talkshoe to make sure it is working.   Check out option 4 here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/how-to-participate-in-a-wpn-beekeeping-podcast/

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:49:26 pm »
Yes, there is a VoIP option if you have a mic on your computer.  It does require creating an account on talkshoe and downloading an application (both FREE).  I use it,  if you plan to use it, I would suggest getting it set up before hand and crashing another podcast on talkshoe to make sure it is working.   Check out option 4 here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/how-to-participate-in-a-wpn-beekeeping-podcast/

Great, I need to get a mic, and I'm in!  Thanks Robo!  You're wise beyond your years!

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »
We had the opportunity to listen in on the podcast last night Jan. 14th.  It was very interesting. David Burns gave an outstanding talk and we really enjoyed it.
I would highly recommend this to anyone in the future.

Thanks Robo for bringing this to our attention.
Joe S.

anything