Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Liquid Smoke anyone???  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Liquid Smoke anyone???
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:57:11 am »
Has anyone tried this Liquid smoke ?? It even says Human consumption
I use a liquid Smoke in making Deer Jerky and If I use turkey burger I add some to it
So I guess if you did all you need is a Spray Bottle
Your Thoughts or Trials

Thanks
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Liquid Smoke anyone???
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:03:57 pm »
My dad used it a couple of time when he checks the bees.  He likes it more than using the smoker.  Also works pretty well when bees are being robbed.  I guess it's all just a personal preference.

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »
I won't recommend using liquid to calm the bees during an inspection. I go into the hive at a time of day when its prime for foragers to fly out and inspecting already disrupts their routine.  It takes a longer time for the hive to get back into their routine when you wet the bees. I think one of the important routines at this time of the year is foraging and defending the hives from robbing especially from hornets and yellow jackets. When the bees are wet they are not able to defend the entrance as well.

Offline msully

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:10 pm »
I have used it for 3 years now.  Great for quick inspections, not so great when you have to go through the whole hive.  The ladies react to it slower than smoke and it doesn't last as long.  I think it's great when I need to go in and replenish syrup, change medication, etc.  I mix it pretty heavy, like half the bottle in a quart spray bottle.

Mike
"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffett

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:00:36 pm »
I may have misunderstood liquid smoke. I assumed it was sugar syrup and you spray it on the bees. What is it?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »
I may have misunderstood liquid smoke. I assumed it was sugar syrup and you spray it on the bees. What is it?

It is actually a Smoke Flavor in Liquid you(I) dilute it with water and put it in a Spray Bottle
I say I  but I don't have bees yet I was going to use it on my Trap out

Tommyt
Abraham Lincoln

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:07:54 pm »
Oh thats interesting. 1st time i've heard of a smoke flavoured liquid for bees. Actually if you are comfortable , do your inspections on a sunny day, your bees are gentle and move slowly to avoid crushing any bees, you don't need smoke.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:12:37 pm »
Liquid smoke is a byproduct of the charcoal industry an is considered food safe but is also a know carcinogenic. When wood is heated in an oxygen depleted environment, it first steams (this steam is collected as liquid smoke) and then chars into the graphite.

We make it here in a steel drum.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:19:47 pm »

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »
Alton Brown has a GREAT way to make "homemade" liquid smoke.  It works great and you can choose which type of wood you want to use as well. 
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:31 pm »

Liquid smoke is a byproduct of the charcoal industry an is considered food safe but is also a know carcinogenic. When wood is heated in an oxygen depleted environment, it first steams (this steam is collected as liquid smoke) and then chars into the graphite.

We make it here in a steel drum.

Scott

Scott you say you make it  do you make it for the Food industry as in Large company's using it as a Flavoring
for their Products or does yours go into the small bottles sold in the Grocery stores
Also
Thanks AllenF and Highlandsfreedom I like Alton Ideas I will look it up

Tommyt
Abraham Lincoln

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:39 pm »
Tommyt, I often make my own charcoal as a side effort to a firewood business I set up a few years ago. It's a great way to get rid of the little scraps and smaller branches. I learned how to make liquid smoke but wouldn't attempt to go commercial with it, I'm just not set up for it. The liquid smoke guys make TONS of charcoal a day and can harvest a good bit of the liquid smoke. I can only make 55 gals of charcoal over a two day period and might harvest two or three Tbsp per run.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:03:20 am »
I am pretty traditional and use a regular smoker.  usually getting into enough hives I use at lease one load of fuel.. wonder how the caned smoke we use to test smoke detectors would work on bees??? know one thing,,, it wouldnt be cheap!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:06 am »
I look at it this way.   To make liquid smoke for the bees takes time.   To buy it, you are going to blow over a buck a pack.  I burn anything in my smoker that doesn't cost me.   Right now, I start it up with packing paper that comes with the boxes through the mail.   And to reload in the field, dry leaves, pine straw, paper, or even cardboard.   Free stuff that don't take much time.  With the smoke smell, in a couple of months, everything I own will have a slight smoke smell with winter coming on. :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »
The liquid smoke smell lingers a lot longer, and I don't see that as an advantage... but I have tried it and went back to the real smoker.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 12:42:57 pm »
     So the liquid smoke used for food flavoring from the grocery store is the same stuff used for bees?  Did I get that right?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:02:44 pm »
Somewhere I read that Liquid Smoke (from the store) could be rubbed on your hands to keep the bees off them during inspections. I wear gloves tho so havent tried it.
Its great in homemade bbq sauce! And venison jerky. And wild turkey leg soup....
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 12:19:46 pm »
Some bee suppliers sell it, and yes it's the same stuff, except more expensive...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin