Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poisoned Bees  (Read 3541 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Poisoned Bees
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »

Went to do a removal this morning and was not aware that the owner had sprayed the hive. When you ask some folks are not honest about it but the hive damage and the can caps left on site are tell tale signs. Oh well it is what it is. Thru away the bottom half of the hive and top half may be questionable but will try to save em. They did not have to good of access to spray em so the whole hive was not hit. Time will tell.
Blanc
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:06:21 pm by blanc »
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Poisoned Bees
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »
As soon as I see evidence they were sprayed I give them a bill for showing up and I walk away.  They never seem to understand why I would not want them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:14 pm »
 when I first get the call I let them know that the estimate is based on the hive being untouched.When I see that they have been sprayed I let them know that the price just doubled. If they ask why I tell them because half the cost is made up from the hive and the honey and wax that I recover. I can't cover cost with poisoned honey.

John

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:59:11 am »
To educate myself better, would someone go into more detail on evidence of being sprayed.
Thanks
David
My-smokepole

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37:01 am »
To educate myself better, would someone go into more detail on evidence of being sprayed.
Thanks
David
Well you immediately notice large sections of cone not being utilized by the colony and did I mention the smell of poison. Folks don't realize the mess they are fixing to leave in their walls/ceiling or where ever that hive is. All that honey oozing all over at some point and maggots, mice or whatever might invade it.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »
a lot of dead bees in or around the hive.  bees that have been in one spot for years may have a lot of old dried dead bees (usually just the exoskeletons) and they may have old black comb that they aren't using anymore.  bees that have been sprayed will have a lot of dead bodies that haven't dried out and may have fresh comb that they aren't covering.  most of the off the shelf sprays have a pretty long half life.  they don't just kill the bees that get sprayed they kill the remaining brood as it emerges and when bees walk across the residue they spread the poison through out the hive.  this is why i am reluctant to do removals.  sometimes the dead fall into places where you can't see them so you do a removal and the colony dies off in a couple of weeks for no good reason and then the hive gets robbed and next thing you know you've poisoned your bee yard.  it's no longer worth it to me unless i am able to watch the colony for several weeks before i remove them.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:31 pm »
I have a cut out that may have been sprayEd last oct. they are still alive as of a few days ago.
Need some thoughts.
David
My-smokepole

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50:20 am »
Thoughts?  Heck, if they're still alive and assuming they did get sprayed, they didn't get enough of a hit to kill them off.  If you've got some frames that may have comb that you think was sprayed wait until spring and cycle them out.  Otherwise leave them alone and see how they fair, there's nothing you can do right now to help them.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline James M. Wagner

• House Bee
    • Poor Hollow Bee Farm
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:56 pm »
When people ask me how much I charge I give them a standard spiel, part of which includes "if they have been sprayed with anything, the cost doubles..." -james
James M. Wagner

anything