Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quee size  (Read 4319 times)

Offline Brother Dave

• House Bee
    • West Island Wild Flower
Quee size
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:38:33 am »
I need to make sure my logic is sound. A friend asked me where she could find small cell queens to start over next spring.
 I told her that since a queen is reared in a queen cell and not on the foundation her size could be the same as the large cell raised queen.

Am I correct? Has any one noted the size of queens raised in small cell colony's  compared compared to large cell.

I remember reading about faster emergence times noted some where.

Dave

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Quee size
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:46:13 pm »
I think your supposition on size of SC queens is correct.  I do not measure but queens sure look big among my SC bees.  My purchased queens look comparatively no larger. 

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 07:26:34 pm »

Regression doesnt replace the queen.  letting them build their own comb, if they are large cell bees, they will not draw large cell they usually do 5.1 or 5.0..  when the bees hatch from the 5.1.. and you give them new frames, they will build smaller.. 4.9 or even smaller.. but your queen hasnt changed.. I have to stand by Vance
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:07:32 pm »
>Am I correct?

Yes.

>Has any one noted the size of queens raised in small cell colony's  compared compared to large cell.

I see no difference.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin