Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1ST ever swarm catch  (Read 4833 times)

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
1ST ever swarm catch
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:25:17 pm »
Today was a new beginning for me with bees. My daughter who lives in Tylertown,Ms. called me last night that a bunch of bees were on a heavy metal pipe, used as a fence post on their farm. After consulting with JP who lives approx. 75 mis. away ,I decieded to undertake this difficult task for a newbie. I arrived there at daylight to find they had not moved but rather were still visible on top of the open pipe. JP had advised me to take some lemongrass oil, a frame of cut comb, some Fishers' bee quick ,to make the excess bees move out of the pipe and into open air. The bees had pulled an over grown lemon bush down on top of the post . I thought if I snipped that limb off I could pull the entire swarm out of the post in it's entirety. Well everyone knows what can go will go wrong.When I snipped the tough bush I had to use 2 hands, therefore the limb fell on the fence before I could catch it. However the queen stayed in tack . I placed her and other bees in the card board nuc box with the remaining bees flying down ,crawling into the little hole that sort of nuc has. All's well that ends well. I am proud of my wife, Liz, who was with me every step of the way but, that is nothing new in our 41 year relationship. We have truly been a team.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: 1ST ever swarm catch
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:32:00 pm »
Awesome Job!!!

Keith

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:34:37 pm »
isn't that fun!  hope you took picture?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 06:38:33 pm »
That first swarm is always the best!!! :) :) :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:52:33 pm »
Congrats...That just cemented your addiction. You will never be able to be without bees again.  :shock:

PS. Those kind of women are hard to find. Appreciate her like I do mine.
Our 41 anniversary will be the last day of this month. When is or was yours?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:08:24 pm »
Yeh, The first swarm is the best!...Then the second swarm is the best!.......Then the third swarm is the best!.....then the,.......well......anyways,...........

With my first swarm, I was late for work! I had a mess of em in a tree in my back yard!..But, I couldnt pass this up! It was GREAT!!!...and nobody to help me!!! It was like, uhhhh.....Really nerve racking!!
I got stung for my first time during that catch...13 times!..on my ankles!
 I dropped the swarm in a box, then into a hive box...then realized I didnt have a bottom underneath the box :shock:
I had to walk about 60 feet or so carrying the hive body with bees falling out the bottom, onto my shoes and sox, then stinging me on the ankles.I was wearing shorts....no shirt,( as I didnt want to sweat up my clean work shirt)...no veil.....nothing.....And I only got stung on the ankles! I was really lucky!
For me, every catch seems easier than the one before..Ive only made about 6 or 7 catches last year,.....My biggest problem was making them stay with me!..Most of mine would fly away in a few days after I caught them, but now I know what to do with a queen excluder! :-D
Way to go on the catch, and watch...you'll probably have another one in a couple a days!!
your friend,
john

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:50:29 pm »
congratulations on your firsts swarm catch jimmy,your probably hooked now.  bill

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »
Yes I am hooked on bees .There are worst and more expensive hobbies .

Some one asked when my annivesary was ,this comming December 1, will be our 42nd.

Johnnybigfish I did have a coulpe bees go up my pants leg and sting me but,not sure if I could stand 13 stings. I got stung behind the ear earlier in the week handling someone elses bees.
Thats 3 times this year .I ready don't mind except in the head region, is more painful.

BTW : I'm not looking for swarms t but rather, my interest is  in  bee survival.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:36:19 am »
So do I take it you went back to your daughters and they were all tucked in tight? Sounds like they were since you are reporting a success story, good for you Jimmy!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 06:37:31 pm »
JP  : Let hive set until dark to make sure all bee were off post then taped little hole on nuc with world famous duck tape . Brought to my house and installed in a regular 10 frame hive. Could not find queen,I wanted to mark her.Just untrained eyes.

Thanks for all your support  JP.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:25:08 pm »
I love catching swarms! I think that it is even more addictive than keeping bees is.
Alfred

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 11:43:12 pm »
Jimmy, now you must really feel like you have fallen under the spell of the honeybee, as has your Wife, Liz.  Great, what a fantastic experience you had, now you just won't be able to wait for the next swarm call, it will come.....beautiful day in our great lives, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service