Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many stings do you get per month?  (Read 5225 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: How many stings do you get per month?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 07:58:29 pm »
Not a doctor, but it sounds like a rotator cuff issue to me.  Might be inflammation of a bursae as Hemlock says too.  The supraspinatus muscle does the work of lifting your arm.  That is the most common muscle/tendon area injured in a rotator cuff injury.  Simple overuse can even create a rotator cuff injury.

It can take a LONG time for such an injury to heal.  If it is a slight muscle/tendon tear there are physical therapy exercises you can do to strengthen the muscle/tendon.   Been there done that.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »
I inspect gloveless and usually get a sting or two, sometimes none, depending on how long I am in each of my 3 hives.  When I do get a sting it seems to come near the end of an inspection -- I am probably getting sloppy.  One day this past summer I got 30-40 stings from a single hive that was mad from the the minute I popped the top, but has been real sweet since.

I don't mind getting stung.  Actually think (hope) I probably benefit from it in some way.  And I am with those whose reaction seems to have diminished considerably the more I get stung -- which is now ususally just on the hands with virtually no swellling or itching.
linda d

Offline beeghost

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:19 am »
Ive only been stung 6 times and it was all at once on both hands (gloveless) when inspecting a feral hive that had gone queenless (didnt know until further inspection after stinging!). As much as I hate the hot lava going through my veins and the swelling of one of my hands to the point where I couldnt make a fist, my ring finger on my right hand (which has bad circulation at the tip) actually felt warm to the touch instead of cold! And my finger joints felt really good as well!! However, my finger went back to "abnormal" after a week or so, which sucks. Thank God I live in the warmer climate of California, because every year when I go Goose hunting up in Oregon and the temps are in the teens or lower, that stupid finger tip gets a minor case of frostbite and hurts like heck for a few weeks!!
Coyote Creek Bees - Est.2011

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 04:48:28 am »
My personal view is that bi stings are bad , I don't want to build up and risk beecoming allergic to the bee stings and have to stop bee keeping  :-x

But there are a lot of people who benefit from bee stings , I was in the grocery store in my bee suit buying a shopping cart of cheap sugar when a man stopped and talked to me and told me that he had been suffering from tennis elbow for many years and all medicines and therapy had failed to help him.

He had as a last resort tried bee sting therapy from a old colleague and after one bee handling been cured.

I offered him to take a look in a hive that had been half eaten by a bear and survived , but he declined  :roll: :-D :roll:

He felt fine and didn't need any more stings :

mvh edward  :-P

anything