Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm cell  (Read 7435 times)

Offline beehuntertrapper

• New Bee
Re: swarm cell
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 11:15:07 pm »
don't be afraid to go in the hive once a week(good weather permitting), if you don't, you can't see things such as swarm cells,no eggs, no room etc. I try to go in mine once a week for a quick peek. Friday I found 13 queen cells and the queen in one hive.That particular hive consisted of three deeps and two supers. So I split them into 5 hives. Had I not gone in, they for sure would have swarmed. Why let them go when you can at least try to manage them. The only time I don't go in is when I'm waiting for the queen cells to hatch. I watch the calender and wait to be sure they hatched so I don't damage them during the inspection. Look as much as you want, go slow be careful not to bump bees and have FUN!!!!
good luck.

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
Re: swarm cell- Update
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 05:08:25 pm »
Hey all! I so appreciate all the input and advice. Haven't been able to post for awhile, as things have been really busy. I peeked in on my bees a week and a half after my initial post and found the swarm cell gone, and the bees in that hive drawing comb like crazy. I also found plenty of capped brood this time and they were bringing in a lot of pollen. They seemed oblivious to my presence.

Hive 2 seems weaker, not as busy as the other hive, but they haven't drawn any swarm cells on me so I guess that's good. I found eggs in that hive so at least I know a queen is there. They seem lazier than hive 1, but I'm ok with that, maybe they're just like me. :-D
I am glad I got two hives so that I can do the comparisons.

As for my beek friend, I just glean the important info from him now. He would flip a lid if he knew I was in there every week (he gave my husband instructions to keep me out of the hives, just let the bees be...haha :evil: ) but that is the best way for me to learn.

As for the nuc supplier, I'm going to hope that it was just an accident and not a deliberate ripoff. If I happen to need to order more nucs in the future, I will make sure I know what I am getting.

Again, thanks for the info!

~mary

anything