Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What Frames ?????  (Read 4229 times)

Offline eejit

• New Bee
What Frames ?????
« on: April 02, 2006, 06:30:39 am »
Im confused as to what frames I should buy for my first hive  :?

There are have DN1 DN2 DN3 DN4 and DN5. What is the difference between these frames and what advantage do they give. Where do "spacers" come into it? Do you put different style frames in the brood box than in the super? What kind of frames do you lot have?

Cheers.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
What Frames ?????
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 11:03:28 am »
Hi there
One thing you might do that helped me was I got a copy of Beekeeping for Dummies.It Has good pictures and a Glossary in the back.Beekeeping like all subjects has terms that if well defined save a lot of frustration.
Kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
What Frames ?????
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:30:24 pm »
I don't know the part numbers but basically pieces of the frames come in these configurations:

Top bars:
Wedge (where a cleat breaks off and you nail it in to hold the foundation at the top)
Grooved (where you slip the foundation into the groove at the top.  For plastic it just snaps in.  For Wax you have to use a wax tube fastener to anchor the top)
Split (where the top bar is only 3/8" thick and has a slot in it.  usually used for comb honey production in combination with a solid bottom bar.  The foundation just slips into the groove and rests on the bottom bar.  Usually you wait to put the foundation in until just before you put it on the hive so it won't buckle.)
Solid (I custom order thes from Walter T. Kelley and then cut a comb guide on the top before I assemble them)

Bottom bars:
Grooved (again the best for plastic foundation because it just snaps in.  I like it for most foundation because they break less when I clean the groove.)
Split (I don't like them because the break too easily.  The foundation slips between the split and you put a nail in the center to hold the foundation tight.)
Solid (My favorite but it may require a special size foundation to fit.  No place for the wax worms to burrow and hide)

For any kind of foundation I prefer grooved top and bottom.  This will be the right size for plastic.  You should make sure you get the right size foundation for it.  Walter T. Kelley has the best assortment of foundation sizes and descriptions in their catalog of exactly what kind of frame they fit.  Unfortunatly they don't have small cell, so I end up getting that from Dadant or Brushy Mt.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Diver

• New Bee
what frames
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 09:16:16 am »
These are frames for the British National Hive DN = Deep National   SN = Super National.  The 1,2,3 etc. are for different top/side bars.  For a full list see

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/bsframedesignations.html

DN5 is recommended for brood use and is self spacing so good general purpose, if you run deep supers or
SN4 if using a medium super

Spacers are for when you use frames that are not self spacing.

I have only Langstroth hives (all deeps) and this year will be trying a longhive of my own design using Langstroth frames.
listen to others. You do not always know as much as you think you do.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
What Frames ?????
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 07:17:40 pm »
Sorry, I should have paid more attention to the location.  British Standards are common where you are and are a whole 'nother thing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything