Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cordless Tools  (Read 4297 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Cordless Tools
« on: November 26, 2009, 02:05:16 pm »
I love cordless tools and use them everyday. For the past six years, I have heavily invested in Porter Cable 19.2 volt tools. The tools are great and have served me well, but the batteries and chargers are getting harder to find at reasonable prices. The new 18 volt Porter Cables don't impress me much. I am thinking about trying something new. My brother uses Ridged brand and he loves them, especially the lithium batteries. They offer a wide variety of cordless tools for their 18 volt system. They are nice but pricey. Dewalt seems to have stabilized their design and offer a wide range of 18 volt cordless tools at fairly reasonable prices.

I am impressed with what I read about the Ryobi one+ system. They offer a very wide range of tools that all use the same battery, nicad or lithium. The prices are reasonable. They do not seem to stick to to you with replacement batteries or chargers. I have always thought of Ryobi as cheap junk, but the reviews that I have read are good. Anyone here use Ryobi tools?

Opinions and comments please,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

bigbearomaha

Re: Cordless Tools
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 05:12:27 pm »
 I can't say much on Ryobi.   i predominantly stick with Craftsman.  Just something  I inherited from my Dad  I guess.

Big Bear

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 05:25:34 pm »
Hi Steve,
>I am impressed with what I read about the Ryobi one+ system. They offer a very wide range of tools that all use the same battery, nicad or lithium. The prices are reasonable.<
I agree!  :-D
I have had the Ryobi one+ system for three + years now. I got a 7 tools in a Tool bag deal at Home Depot, 2 nicads + nicad charger. Last xmass my son gave me a lithium  battery  + charger. Worked so well I bought another lithium  battery. I find I get about 3- 4x the time out of them over nicads.
... Rob

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:25 pm »
I'm a home remodeling contractor and have been using the ryobi 18volt cordless line for about 7 years now. I use them hard under a variety of conditions and they seem to hold up ok. I've had a couple drills die, a few batts wear out, a sawzall die when sheetrock dust filled the motor. It's not a bad line of tools for the price though. I've had dewalt and makita tools that didn't last nearly as long. For me they are worth every penny because when I drop one off a roof or forget something out in the rain, I don't really feel bad because I'm not breaking the bank to buy new ones.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:52:32 pm »
Steve,

Went through the same debate myself this summer.   Was looking to a cordless impact driver because a buddy of mine who is a full time contractor was telling me how great they where.   Since my Makita 9.6V drills where getting pretty old and it wasn't worth buying new batteries,  I was heavily considering getting a Dewalt 18V combo.  Figured the sawzall and circular saw would come in handy fro removals,  instead of always dragging the corded versions.   I went round and round for a couple of week changing my mine on which brand daily :shock:   Then I walked in to Home Depot and they had the Ryobi 3/8 drill, impact driver, 2 batteries and charger on the clearance table for $99,  and I could pass on it.   I had read probably all the same reviews as you and I figured what the heck.   I have to say, I have been extremely pleased.  That impact driver is probably my favorite tool now.  I don't think you can go wrong with the Ryobi, especially if you aren't going to be using it full-time to make a living with.  But then again, even if you are, Nathan makes some pretty good points about not worrying about it when you drop it or abuse it. I accidentally left my drill out in the yard for a week with rain and all,  and it didn't phase it at all.  I know my buddy uses DeWalt,  and he has issues with them from time to time and it is usually cheaper to replace them then to get them repaired anyway...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:42:58 pm »
Hello Steve. The technology has come a long way in the past 10 years or so on the cordless tools to get the most power with the littlest amount of battery usage as possible. Like Robo, I about put as much money in my old 9.6v Makita as I was willing to spend to try and keep it going. After wearing out 4 batteries to the point at which they would not charge anymore and replacing the trigger that was $35.00 it finally striped out low gear.  :'(  The big advancements of the new tools has been mostly in the batteries. I have the 18v Milwaukee tools that come as a complete set in a carry bag just because it was on a big sale when the old Makita quit in the middle of a project. Very pleased with with them and love the carbide jaws in the drill. Never slips on a bit. As Fireguy mentioned, if they have the lithium battery to fit your tools, you will not be sorry that you made the switch. They are pricey and take a different charger but they charge quick and will give max power till the last time they can be used before they need to be charged. The sad part is to replace they are very expensive verses if they were purchased as a option when you bought your original tools.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »
Best purchase I ever made was a porter cable combo kit from H.D. Nice compressor, 18 and 16 gauge brad guns and 18 gauge crown stapler, all for around 200.00.

I hate battery powered anything but Hilti had a buy one get one free deal on an 18volt set up with top of the line batteries. I went for it and am pleased. I have the Ryobi kit, hate it, batteries kept dieing prematurely.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:03:51 am »
I am impressed with gas powered paslode cordless nailers.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 01:24:34 pm »
I bought a couple of the Paslode cordless nailguns back when there was still a construction industry in FL. They're great for jobs where a hose would get in the way but not fast enough for framing walls etc. as there is a time lag after each shot while the gas recharges the system. I use them primarily when I have someone climbing around in the trusses nailing in wind bracing or have to send someone to do a framing punchout. No good at all for nailing hive equipment and they're expensive to operate.

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 11:33:05 pm »
Like my Dewalt.  Dropped them many times and they still work.
De Colores,
Ken

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:04:49 am »
I have used Makita, Dewalt, but mostly Milwaukee cordless.  The 18v Milwaukee tools have given me years of service with no trouble.  I have used friends 28v Lithium Milwaukee and have to say I was utterly impressed.  You can twist your wrist off with them no problem.  I've even used them with auger style bits when making wholes for wire runs through walls.  One thing to remember about the lithium powered ones is the batteries can't get wet, or they'll be no good.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline treebee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:22:58 am »
After losing a set of de-walt to a fire and one to robbery I went with the eight tool combo from ryobi and have been happy with them. I now have ten tools, Three drillls and I can give them to my employes and not worry about lossing a ton of money if something goes wrong. I have travelled all over doing marketable remodels in some seedy places and no longer worry(as much) about the theft or breakage. I can get a new drill at any depot for 50-60(not 170$) and be right back at it. +++ when my obi gets slow just go to low, theres still 10-15 screws in the battery most models die real fast and you have to climb down, get battery, climb up, one screw,Anyways I am happy with them and have been for 7 years.. Where else can you get two batterys for 50 bucks...cheaply yours John
Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:19:38 pm »
I only have a DeWalt 14.4 drill and it works fine, but I know several General Contractors who have gone with the new Ryobi System and use them and abuse them and still swear by them!

bigbearomaha

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 08:42:52 pm »
strange,  I thought i could edit my posts.  Anyway, turns out,  I have a Delta 18v cordless drill set that came with a charger and two batteries.

I have had it for about two years now and it does a pretty good job on battery time before I have to change it.

I can't complain about it.

I use Campbell Hausfeld air tools for the most part. love my airtools more than electric every time.

Big Bear

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 04:40:08 pm »
I bought a 18 volt Makita set this summer after my old Botch sp wouldn't drive screws in a ceiling I was replaceing for a customer. I had used one early and fell in love with it. got them when they had a rebate. Bought the driver drill combo and got the skill saw for free, Stll love them know I need to find  the saw sazz and my set will be back to normal.
David
My-smokepole

anything